• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stopped by Revenue Protection - awaiting letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakster786

New Member
Joined
20 Jan 2026
Messages
1
Location
Kingston
I have been very silly and have been shorting from Vauxhall to Clapham Junction since around September last year. Its aprox 40 journeys in total. My journeys should have been from Hampton Wick to Vauxhall and vice versa. The train operator is SWR.

I panicked when I was stopped this morning and made up an excuse about forgetting to tap out - then admitted to it but only for the journey in question. I imagine they will dig out the history so appreciate I am liable there too.

I also thought about running in panic but thought better of it. I did say they didn't have right to stop me as non police but again appreciate I was wrong about that.
Its been a chastening experience and I will take full responsibility when the letter comes and to cover admin fees and train cost. Do I wait for the letter to come before responding for a settlement? Looks like on other forums I shouldn't engage a solicitor until the letter arrives.
I am worried for obvious reasons on a criminal conviction. I know I have messed up.
Any advice here please?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

z444z

Established Member
Joined
17 Apr 2022
Messages
1,219
Location
London
It’s unlikely you’ll need a solicitor. SWR routinely settle out of court, sometimes even presenting you with an offer on initial contact.

They will investigate your purchasing history. Is it 40 return journeys, or 40 one way journeys?

Obviously you must pay the correct fare going forwards.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
@Shakster786. Welcome to the forum. Whilst not guaranteed, as you're dealing with SWR, reckon it's still very likely they'll offer you an out of court settlement. This will likely cost multiples of £6.40 if that's what SWR determine is the unpaid fare for each and every one-way part journey you've made between Hampton Wick and Clapham Junction. A return trip would be twice that. In addition, there'll very probably be a three figure investigation and admin fee added on top. You'll be expected to pay in full, in one lump sum. Let you do the math as to exactly how much. Undoubtedly it will be several hundred notes. Good luck in sorting out this matter.

P.S. Whilst you're waiting for the letter from SWR, and as @z444z has already suggested, stop all further moody ticketing with immediate effect and start paying the correct fares!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top