fusionblue
Member
- Joined
- 10 May 2012
- Messages
- 329
I left work at 5pm yesterday and made my way to embankment tube station to go up to Charing Cross to go home. It was quite busy with a bunch of 20 people standing right in front of the exit gates, and i was in a hurry to catch a particular train at Charing Cross. As i was leaving through the gates a girl pushed in front of me and shoved her paper ticket in which was rejected. I didn't see the number but i did see it was a child ticket on the screen.
She wasn't a child though. That much i know.
I thought her ticket let her through so i tapped my oyster on and it let her out in the process, but didnt realise that until after.
As i walked around the bunch of people a police officer standing behind a pillar (or BTP, he did not identify himself) stopped me, asked to see my ticket. I stop and pull it out. I have a monthly zone 1 to 3 loaded on an oyster with my photo on it. He just looked at it for 15 seconds then handed it back. He didn't check it on any readers. While he was staring at it, i told him a person in front pushed in front of me, pointed to her, and she was using a child ticket.
He didn't respond to that point at all (there was a long pause), just said thanks and handed the oyster back and returned to staring down the ticket hall.
I'm fine with ticket inspections (when there's some logic to it), but two points kind of stuck out:
1 - If you do not have the means to check electronic tickets, why just stand there?
2 - He completely ignored the point about the child ticket, despite having pointed her out in the crowd behind me.
I'm not trying to invoke any kind of discrimination of any sort as that's not relevant, but he obviously didn't have any tools to inspect so he was essentially wasting time. If i'm trying to avoid a police officer for not having a ticket i wouldn't walk directly towards them, would i?
I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions.
Still kinda makes me laugh, thinking about it.
She wasn't a child though. That much i know.
I thought her ticket let her through so i tapped my oyster on and it let her out in the process, but didnt realise that until after.
As i walked around the bunch of people a police officer standing behind a pillar (or BTP, he did not identify himself) stopped me, asked to see my ticket. I stop and pull it out. I have a monthly zone 1 to 3 loaded on an oyster with my photo on it. He just looked at it for 15 seconds then handed it back. He didn't check it on any readers. While he was staring at it, i told him a person in front pushed in front of me, pointed to her, and she was using a child ticket.
He didn't respond to that point at all (there was a long pause), just said thanks and handed the oyster back and returned to staring down the ticket hall.
I'm fine with ticket inspections (when there's some logic to it), but two points kind of stuck out:
1 - If you do not have the means to check electronic tickets, why just stand there?
2 - He completely ignored the point about the child ticket, despite having pointed her out in the crowd behind me.
I'm not trying to invoke any kind of discrimination of any sort as that's not relevant, but he obviously didn't have any tools to inspect so he was essentially wasting time. If i'm trying to avoid a police officer for not having a ticket i wouldn't walk directly towards them, would i?
I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions.
Still kinda makes me laugh, thinking about it.
