• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stolen railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Obviously you can submit the crime number to the railcard folk, and they'll issue you with a replacement. What, however, is the standard way of dealing with pre-bought tickets with the railcard before a new one is issued? I'd be damned if I'm shelling out again for the luxury of having my wallet stolen!

I'd like to think Railcard folk email you a form and you can take it with you? Then again I'm not sure that common sense will apply! If anyone knows the correct procedure, I'm all ears! Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
What, however, is the standard way of dealing with pre-bought tickets with the railcard before a new one is issued?
The purchase of tickets simply involves 'asking' for a Railcaed discount to be applied (it does not require any specific Railcard to be produced).

It's only at the time of travel that the (or maybe I should say "a") Railcard must be available for presentation on demand.

Consequently, there does not need to be any continuity between the RailCard possessed at the time of purchase and the RailCard possessed at the time of travel.
They will, however, both have to be the same classification of Railcard (eg 16-25, Forces, Senior, Family etc.)
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Okay ta - but now here's the issue. I'm due to travel Thurs afternoon and return Fri morning on two heavily discounted Advance tickets, both with railcard discount. I'm obtaining a crime number tomorrow morning (should have been today but they didn't ring back, so I'm getting hold tomorrow morning) and then passing it on to DVLA, Railcard folk et al.

Now I don't have the means to pay for new tickets a) because my passport is in a different city (and incidentally will pick it up Thurs) and so can't withdraw funds, b) all my means of payment were stolen along with my railcard in my wallet and c) I can't really afford nor ask a friend to stump out the £80 odd quid for travel. Not travelling isn't really an option either!

My hope is that when railcard ltd confirm they have received your crime number and have dispatched a second railcard, you can use a confirmation of sorts to continue travelling on your (not present) railcard. It is not my fault I had my wallet stolen after purchasing my tickets, although I appreciate it is not the railways either.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
Do you have some sort of insurance or are your cards covered under something like GuardCard (which covers railcards as well as bank cards)?
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,514
Sorry is the railcard a bank issued one or a rail station issued one?
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,514
Darn it, send off an email or ask them if there is any way to get there quicker but i think the answer will be no I'm afraid, numbers are

RailcardHelp@atoc.org or call us on 08448 714036 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday).

Always worth a shot
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
First off, I'm sorry to hear about your hassles. I really do hope you get it sorted. I really would like to hear from those members who repeatedly insist "you signed up to the conditions, if you can't present your railcard then you know what will happen" or similar words. Given this real scenario, can any of them concede that there ought to be some scenarios that deserve compassion?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
Sadly not - obviously banks cover the cards but thats it.
My bank does cover railcards. It may be worth checking your policy. If you've not paid extra for a card protection policy then you won't be covered though.
 

Anvil1984

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2010
Messages
1,514
I'm usually one of those but as it has been stolen then personally if it was my train I'd take the crime reference number, if it was a loss then tough luck usually
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
My bank does cover railcards. It may be worth checking your policy. If you've not paid extra for a card protection policy then you won't be covered though.

Sadly not - I checked already, I just had basic card protection.

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your hassles. I really do hope you get it sorted. I really would like to hear from those members who repeatedly insist "you signed up to the conditions, if you can't present your railcard then you know what will happen" or similar words. Given this real scenario, can any of them concede that there ought to be some scenarios that deserve compassion?

I would hope so, its a nightmare scenario to be in. But hopefully HHF or likewise will be along to give their view!

I'm usually one of those but as it has been stolen then personally if it was my train I'd take the crime reference number, if it was a loss then tough luck usually

Yes, tough luck if lost. I would hope though that with a) a crime reference number, b) email from ATOC confirming re-dispatch of valid railcard that was issued 18 months ago and c) print out of the original application showing photo ID and railcard number (hopefully matching with b)) would be enough for the hardiest of guards!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,530
Location
Yorkshire
Yes, tough luck if lost. I would hope though that with a) a crime reference number, b) email from ATOC confirming re-dispatch of valid railcard that was issued 18 months ago and c) print out of the original application showing photo ID and railcard number (hopefully matching with b)) would be enough for the hardiest of guards!
Hmm, it would be enough for most. But would it be enough for the most desperate of NCL-based EC guards? For sure, the nicest of them (who are a credit to the rail industry) would wish you well and tell you not to worry. But the toughest of them, well I've heard some horror stories... Would 'PS' accept it? Hmm, probably not! But I'd love to be proved wrong...

PM me your journeys and I'll tell you your chances ;)
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Try approaching the station manager with the documentation you have before travelling or ring the customer services department and ask if they can suggest who you need to talk to. They can be dealt with on a case by case basis. Usually this will be viewed sympathetically (judging by the number of passengers I've had brought up to me by station staff saying "Can they travel?". Give a reasonable amount of time at the station to sort it, or go in a few days before if you can.

If they refuse to accept it, then at least there is the option of purchasing a new railcard before boarding, at £26 it might be cheaper than a full open.

In my experience, a letter / official piece of paper will be accepted by a guard, it's when we are the first one to be approached with something that has obviously been known to the passenger before they started their journey that the problems may start (and be exacerbated if we have to find them, rather than them finding us!).

p.s. Read my signature block...
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
p.s. Read my signature block...
The bus stop is just down the road..
That's not very kind! ;)

I assume that, it should be possible to excess the tickets up to standard fare (before departure). That sounds like it may be less expensive than buying a new railcard which isn't needed.

At least you didn't have the tickets stolen also!

If you are having problems, maybe someone here would be able to help out, depending on where you are?
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
A one year railcard can be replaced at any station provided you have a crime report number or the receipt (or 'letter of receipt'), so you need not travel without a railcard. You will have a form to fill out.

If you have already applied for it online and it doesn't arrive in time, you may need to buy a new ticket and have the discounted one refunded.
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
A one year railcard can be replaced at any station provided you have a crime report number or the receipt (or 'letter of receipt'), so you need not travel without a railcard. You will have a form to fill out.

If you have already applied for it online and it doesn't arrive in time, you may need to buy a new ticket and have the discounted one refunded.

Thanks for that - I've sent it off but no reply yet. I'm still hopeful!
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
In my experience, a letter / official piece of paper will be accepted by a guard, it's when we are the first one to be approached with something that has obviously been known to the passenger before they started their journey that the problems may start (and be exacerbated if we have to find them, rather than them finding us!).

p.s. Read my signature block...

Thank you for the very helpful reply. I will do this if the response from ATOC includes no guarantee on travel.
 

janb

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2008
Messages
835
A one year railcard can be replaced at any station provided you have a crime report number or the receipt (or 'letter of receipt'), so you need not travel without a railcard. You will have a form to fill out.

Except of course...

The Manual said:
Stations and Travel Agents cannot replace any Railcards purchased online and applicants should be directed to the website from where it was purchased.

...when it was purchased online.
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Result from all of this;

VT Liverpool to Euston - didn't accept documents for travel and offered no solution other than buying a new ticket.
LM Liverpool to Euston - bought a super off-peak return to do my journey minus railcard
SWT Waterloo - Bournemouth - accepted documents for travel and apologies for VT actions

SWT Bournemouth to Waterloo - accepted documents for travel.
LM Euston to Hemel - accepted documents for travel.
Picked up railcard in Hemel which was sent to my previous address (wouldn't let me chose a new one online!)

No problems then on Hemel - MK - Crewe - Liverpool.

Have fired off an email to VT, although I realise that the VT TM acted to the letter of the rules, other TMs had no problem with the situation and the documents I produced.
LM Eustom
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Glad it's sorted,

We do have quite a few good guards down here with SWT, don't think I have ever had a problem when doing something different like a rover, rail sail, splits etc.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
Picked up railcard in Hemel which was sent to my previous address (wouldn't let me chose a new one online!)

Superb!

So, what happens if you move house and have no connection with the old place (ie you aren't moving out of parents home), or the place is demolished, or some other issue. I can understand why they wouldn't normally want to send to a different address, but there must be something else they could do. Pick up from a station with agreed id?

Anyway, I'm happy that you were treated sympathetically by some of the staff. Depending on the outcome of your letter to VT, perhaps consider writing to one of the national newspapers.
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
If you get any reply at all from Virgin you will be doing well.

If you manage to get something other than a generic picked-from-a-script answer then I will be amazed!
 

barrykas

Established Member
Joined
19 Sep 2006
Messages
1,579
So, what happens if you move house and have no connection with the old place (ie you aren't moving out of parents home), or the place is demolished, or some other issue. I can understand why they wouldn't normally want to send to a different address, but there must be something else they could do. Pick up from a station with agreed id?

Logic says that you phone up, or e-mail, the Online Railcard helpdesk. Contact details for which are given on the Lost/Stolen Railcard page. Not having used the online service, however, I couldn't say whether they make it clear that they'll only send the replacement to the original address...

Stations are unable to do anything with railcards issued online, or by banks, ditto Disabled Persons railcards, and that goes double for the three year ones.

Cheers,

Barry
 

penaltyfines

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2010
Messages
298
Interesting note on stolen replacement...

I had mine stolen, reported it to the police by phoning them... high-tech police force texted me the crime reference number (and got a call from Victim Support a week or so later which was a joke!).

I took this to the ticket office to get a replacement.... they said they needed a physical crime report, not just the number, and made me pay £5 for a placement when I bought my tickets. Calling the TOC made no different, they just re-iterated this.

I phone my bank as I was incensed about this and provided the details, T&Cs etc... they did a charge-back of the £5 *and* the £60 ticket I bought... bonus!! :)
 

janb

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2008
Messages
835
I took this to the ticket office to get a replacement.... they said they needed a physical crime report, not just the number, and made me pay £5 for a placement when I bought my tickets. Calling the TOC made no different, they just re-iterated this.

Needless to say, they are wrong. You only need the number, concerning they didn't know that.
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
I like that - the bank standing up for the little guy for once, ha :)

Dear Mr Large Faceless TOC - you have falsely charged our customer. So we are taking this money back.

Ciao!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top