• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stoke to leek abandoned railway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshrowlands

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
102
Location
Stoke on Trent
Hi guys 19 rail enthusiastic living in Stoke.

I recently posted a thread about an abandoned track very near to where I live most people who live my side of Stoke know of it and have probably walked along it as a teen or as a shortcut (me included)

I found out from kind people on her it was called the Stoke to leek line and closed in 1988 but many people on the thread said there was plans to re-open it and some parts after leek had already been re-opened.

People said it was planned to be re-opened as a slow frieight train route however I have a few questions. The track is very over grown with big tree's, dirty and many people in this area have never seen a train on this track in their lives so all of the above plus having to clear it out, fence it, Singnal it, re-open it, re-track it etc would it even make a profit and what's the point?

I pass it nearly every day of my life and have done all my life but have never seen a train on it and since I've recently become interested in trains and rail I'm really curious about it can some body give me some information?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
For the line to reopen a lot of work would need to be done, the track from Leek into Stoke-on-Trent is covered in sleepers at the moment that would need to be removed.

I am not sure for definite but I think the Sand Trains that ran until 1988 may have run under a 1 train working system as I can't imagine signalling in place all the way to Oakamoor from Stoke Junction. I know the sand trains had to change direction at Leekbrook.

I can't see the line reopening though any time soon, for many years I have heard talk of a line to Alton Towers from either Stoke-on-Trent or Uttoxeter but little has got past the talking stage. If the line was to reopen I would think the entire track work would need to be replaced and a new platform would need to be built at Stoke.
 

Joshrowlands

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
102
Location
Stoke on Trent
For the line to reopen a lot of work would need to be done, the track from Leek into Stoke-on-Trent is covered in sleepers at the moment that would need to be removed.

I am not sure for definite but I think the Sand Trains that ran until 1988 may have run under a 1 train working system as I can't imagine signalling in place all the way to Oakamoor from Stoke Junction. I know the sand trains had to change direction at Leekbrook.

I can't see the line reopening though any time soon, for many years I have heard talk of a line to Alton Towers from either Stoke-on-Trent or Uttoxeter but little has got past the talking stage. If the line was to reopen I would think the entire track work would need to be replaced and a new platform would need to be built at Stoke.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I can't really seeing it being opened its too ambitious. Also I've always wondered why there isn't a rail link to Alton towers from Stoke station it would be great for people travelling from anywhere off the wcml they could just change at Stoke and so be but I guess money doesn't come from no where
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I can't really seeing it being opened its too ambitious. Also I've always wondered why there isn't a rail link to Alton towers from Stoke station it would be great for people travelling from anywhere off the wcml they could just change at Stoke and so be but I guess money doesn't come from no where

The problem is Alton Towers station closed in 1965 when the Leek to Uttoxeter trains were withdrawn and Alton Towers as we know it didn't open until 1980.

I can't see the plan of operating the Churnet Valley Railway from Stoke to Alton Towers ever being successful. The reason being Tourist Railway fares are often much more expensive per mile than National Rail fares which puts many people off travelling.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
The problem is Alton Towers station closed in 1965 when the Leek to Uttoxeter trains were withdrawn and Alton Towers as we know it didn't open until 1980.

I can't see the plan of operating the Churnet Valley Railway from Stoke to Alton Towers ever being successful. The reason being Tourist Railway fares are often much more expensive per mile than National Rail fares which puts many people off travelling.

From what I can remember from an article I read some time ago, I think they were considering a DMU service to operate from Stoke via a reopened or new station at Leek. From there the service would set off in the reverse direction (via the Churnet Valley Line)for Alton, limited or non stop.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
From what I can remember from an article I read some time ago, I think they were considering a DMU service to operate from Stoke via a reopened or new station at Leek. From there the service would set off in the reverse direction (via the Churnet Valley Line)for Alton, limited or non stop.

The only DMU stock that is likely to be available in the next few years is the pacer, Stoke-Alton Towers on a Pacer more terrifying that any white knuckle ride. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top