onlinespotting
Member
I plan to take my mum to Lichfield. Last time we went we were able to change at Trent Valley. This would not be possible now that she requires a wheelchair for longer journeys. Can we change at birmingham new street?
It's not a permitted route, however if you explain your accessibility requirements to West Midlands Trains, they should say which alternative arrangements and reasonable adjustments they suggest. For example, that could mean a taxi from Lichfield Trent Valley, or allowing you to travel via Birmingham where that wouldn't normally be permitted.I plan to take my mum to Lichfield. Last time we went we were able to change at Trent Valley. This would not be possible now that she requires a wheelchair for longer journeys. Can we change at birmingham new street?
Of course when you intend to travel on a route that is not permitted, you can always use split tickets, e.g. Stoke-on-Trent - Birmingham New Street and Birmingham New Street - Lichfield City, but why can you not travel via Lichfield Trent Valley? I recall it having lifts the last time I changed there, although I didn’t use them and I would generally try to avoid changing at Birmingham New Street if at all possible.It's not a permitted route, however if you explain your accessibility requirements to West Midlands Trains, they should say which alternative arrangements and reasonable adjustments they suggest. For example, that could mean a taxi from Lichfield Trent Valley, or allowing you to travel via Birmingham where that wouldn't normally be permitted.
Good point - lifts were indeed installed around 2020. In which case the OP's mother should not struggle to change at Lichfield TV.Of course when you intend to travel on a route that is not permitted, you can always use split tickets, e.g. Stoke-on-Trent - Birmingham New Street and Birmingham New Street - Lichfield City, but why can you not travel via Lichfield Trent Valley? I recall it having lifts the last time I changed there, although I didn’t use them and I would generally try to avoid changing at Birmingham New Street if at all possible.
Lichfield is a lovely little city to visit! But as you say, Platform 3 at Trent Valley is currently out of use as per the West Midlands Railway website.The lifts are frequently out of order and now platform 3 is closed so they are no use any how. the only way from the up platform to Lichfield city is by replacement bus. I would suggest a visit to a different more enlightened part of the world, with such a shoddy service WMT/NR do not deserve your custom
Welcome to the forum. The arrangements they describe until the platform is repaired appear perfectly reasonable - does your local knowledge show otherwise?The lifts are frequently out of order and now platform 3 is closed so they are no use any how. the only way from the up platform to Lichfield city is by replacement bus. I would suggest a visit to a different more enlightened part of the world, with such a shoddy service WMT/NR do not deserve your custom