• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stoke on Trent > Sandwell & Dudley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby-kid

New Member
Joined
15 Aug 2012
Messages
3
Morning all :)

I've been pointed over to this forum by a user from ScoobyNet. Basically I've started a new job and will be commuting daily from Stoke on Trent to Sandwell & Dudley station.

I've looked in to how I buy a season ticket but I'm confused about the difference in savings on weekly, vs monthly etc etc.

Is there any way to buy a ticket for a certain number of trips, like, 10, 20, 30 etc etc, as I feel like I'm missing out by buying 7 days worth, but only using 5 days worth :roll:

And finally, can I use a student rail card when buying a season ticket, or is the rail card just for when you go and buy a ticket from the station?

Many thanks for any advice, I've been told this forum is full of good hints and tips :D

Scott.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
Welcome to the forum Scott!

I've looked in to how I buy a season ticket but I'm confused about the difference in savings on weekly, vs monthly etc etc.

You can buy Season tickets from any ticket office. You'll need a passport photo the first time as you'll be issued with a photocard which must be carried with any Season ticket you buy.

Basically, the longer you buy for, the better value you get. Your options are weekly (for Stoke-S&D this is £65.70, but see below*), or any period from one month to one year. If you can afford an annual season ticket, you only pay the equivalent of about 10.5 months (I can't remember exactly). You can check the prices here.

The usual advice is to buy for slightly over a month, with the validity ending on a Friday or whenever you'll be finishing work (so if you'll be going on holiday from 18/10, ask for a season with an end date of 17/10. This way you're not paying for it when you're not using it.

Is there any way to buy a ticket for a certain number of trips, like, 10, 20, 30 etc etc, as I feel like I'm missing out by buying 7 days worth, but only using 5 days worth :roll:

Not on this route, carnet tickets are available on a limited number of routes, and usually priced at around 9 for the price of 10. Try thinking of a season as being for 5 days, but you get weekend travel free - a Stoke-S&D Anytime Day Return is £20.80, so even travelling 4 days a week a Season is still cheaper.

And finally, can I use a student rail card when buying a season ticket, or is the rail card just for when you go and buy a ticket from the station?

There are no discounts available on Season tickets I'm afraid.

Many thanks for any advice, I've been told this forum is full of good hints and tips :D

* It may be possible to reduce the cost of travel by using a ticket or tickets other than the obvious Stoke-S&D one - I expect others will come up with suggestions if this is possible.
 

DL

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2012
Messages
7
LI'm in a rush so hopefully someone else can check this through but I think you might be able to save a bit of money by splitting at Stafford. A national rail monthly Stoke to Sandwell is £252 but a separate Stoke to Stafford is 101 plus a direct debit network West Midlands ntrain ticket http://tickets.networkwestmidlands....cketID=359&TicketOptionID=45182&resultsPage=0 at 139.50 would total 240 a month and would be valid for journeys to a wider area including Birmingham.

Let someone else check this first though!
 
Last edited:

Scooby-kid

New Member
Joined
15 Aug 2012
Messages
3
Cheers for the replies :D

Looks like Monthly ticket is the way to go - I can't afford to buy a years one, but monthly I reckon will do the trick.

If anyone knows of a cheaper way to buy them, I'd be very grateful :p

Scott.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
Wrong advice removed - I had entered the incorrect stations when searching!
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Ask your new employers if they are part of a corporate travel scheme, which may help you to save money.
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,288
Location
Connah's Quay
You can buy Season tickets from any ticket office. You'll need a passport photo the first time as you'll be issued with a photocard which must be carried with any Season ticket you buy.
You can obtain a photocard without buying a season ticket, if that's more to your taste (say, if you'd rather have the season ticket delivered by post). You just need the number from a photocard when you buy a season ticket.

The Network West Midlands monthly tickets DL mentions also need a photocard, but you write the number in before use instead of the vendor doing it.

If you can afford an annual season ticket, you only pay the equivalent of about 10.5 months (I can't remember exactly).
More specifically, a season ticket lasting 10 months, 13 days costs exactly the same amount as one lasting 12 months. They, in turn, cost as much as 40 week tickets, and a week ticket costs a little less than 5 day returns in this case.

There are cheaper tickets which would be valid for the journey you describe (including some you shouldn't buy as a season ticket), but (in some cases) there may be a risk of harrassment from poorly trained staff if you find yourself on a slow route from one end to the other.

DL's suggestion looks good, although the T&C are less generous than the railway ones. If you use it, Centro will charge you every month, you need to give them a month's notice if you want them to stop, and they don't offer refunds. If you don't fancy that, a season from Stoke to Birmingham will give you a bit more flexibility at no extra cost.

Incidentally, are you actually looking to get to Oldbury before 9:30? If not, a season ticket may not be the best option.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,023
Cheers for the replies :D

Looks like Monthly ticket is the way to go - I can't afford to buy a years one, but monthly I reckon will do the trick.

If anyone knows of a cheaper way to buy them, I'd be very grateful :p

Scott.

Does your employer offer season ticket loans?
I have used this in the past - received a cheque up front for the cost of the annual season ticket & repayment was done each month through payroll.
 

Scooby-kid

New Member
Joined
15 Aug 2012
Messages
3
Incidentally, are you actually looking to get to Oldbury before 9:30? If not, a season ticket may not be the best option.


I was looking to take the journey leaving Stoke at 7am arriving just before 8am - how come a season ticket is not the best?

Cheers,
Scott. :)
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
The Network West Midlands monthly tickets DL mentions also need a photocard, but you write the number in before use instead of the vendor doing it.

They will try and make you use a seperate photocard but you should be able to use the National Rail one for both season tickets (explain this to NWM when you apply).
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
I was looking to take the journey leaving Stoke at 7am arriving just before 8am - how come a season ticket is not the best?

Cheers,
Scott. :)

If you were looking to leave later then you'd possibly be able to save money by purchasing off-peak tickets every day.

But as you are travelling during the morning peak then the season tickets will be your best option.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top