RJ, when you've got down of your high horse, can you quote me the relevant section of NRCoC that forbids an operator specific ticket from being upraded to an ANY PERMITTED?
The rules are the rules, eh? And we don't have dozens of examples on this forum where rules are ambiguous, open to interpretation, contradictory, don't cover specific examples, or are made up by staff?
Incidentally, I have an operator specific walk-up ticket that was excessed to Any Permitted - I believe I may still have it somewhere, so if I find it, I'll fire up the scanner.....
You're giving out duff advice - hardly me being on a high horse, pointing out that fact, is it?
Condition 10 more or less says that use of dedicated tickets on prohibited trains is tantamount to not holding a valid ticket and that a refund may be available for unused tickets. It does not say they can be used on other TOC's services upon payment of an excess fare. So I feel it's only fair that I ask if you can quote any veritable source that says that this is allowed (considering that it's explicitly forbidden in the FRPP).
Saying that you've been sold such a ticket before doesn't mean anything other than somebody inadvertently sold you an invalid ticket. Anything is possible with my TiS, I can create manual fares, sell Priv rate Travelcards or fare override ALRs to 10p. It doesn't mean that they're valid for use because someone sells them. No doubt the accountants would be chasing up
why they have a £429.90 loss for an ALR issue.
Euston will quite happily excess LM Only fares to Any Permitted fares for the return portion of a ticket. As will Crewe and Lime Street actually.
Excess Fares are funny things, I do several as a matter of course on a daily basis, most commonly peak time upgrades and change of route. I don't do anything that will upset the powers that be, such as giving out free or discounted tickets without a
very good reason which is backed up by official policy. Fare Overrides do flag up on the audit sheet and anyone who sells things that are anything less than completely above board should expect to be asked to explain why they did it. I say that excess fares are funny because you can do it any way you like - one neverending issue is time upgrading the return portion of a Saver where no SOR is available. Ask me and I will say the fare to be paid is the cheapest appropriate single. Ask someone else and they might say excess to an SDR, or equate SVR to CDS and charge the difference between SDS and CDS, or difference between CDR and SDR, or difference between CDS and whatever the cheapest available ticket is for immediate travel, one of many things. At the end of the day the traceable serial number and fare paid has to be input to validate an XS so any dodgy excesses are easily picked up on. In other cases, you have the issue of the formulae in the TiS not necessarily tallying with the latest changes in general policy.
Change of ticket type always charges for both directions, whilst overdistance/superior class/change of route charge half the difference if so selected.
If I was asked to excess such a ticket you've mentioned, I'd refuse as it's forbidden. If a non issue/reissue was not possible I'd advise of the refund procedure for unused tickets

.