• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Still haven’t received my Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazza

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2025
Messages
5
Location
Warwickshire
A couple weeks ago I bought a Child’s ticket when I shouldn’t have- I had a doctors appointment that I couldn’t miss and I only had enough for a child’s fair. I know I shouldn’t of done it but it was my only form of transport and I have no other option.

I got caught and my details taken- reading through some threads here it’s becoming clear to me it’s going to be taken further.

I have yet to receive anything and I’m finding the lack of information is just making me feel worse. I don’t even know what brand train I was on so I can’t research their fine policies. Does anyone know an estimate on what the charge could be? How often does things like this actually make it court? If I pay (when I finally receive something) will this just be left as is?

I’m willing to pay and I have saved on the side since the altercation- I don’t live at the address they have for me anymore. Do they just want the payment from me or are they focused on charging criminally people as a preventative measure for others?

This is really stressing me out- my career depends on having a clean criminal record, any advice would be great.

This is my first offence-
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,298
@chazza. Welcome to the forum. Could you provide some additional background information as per the following...


Might be able to work out who you are likely to be dealing with. A train company operating in the West Midlands area, perhaps?

A couple of supplementary questions. How old are you? Will inspection of your online ticket purchasing history indicate any other instances of child fares having been bought/used, even if you didn't previously get stopped when using same?
 

chazza

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2025
Messages
5
Location
Warwickshire
@chazza. Welcome to the forum. Could you provide some additional background information as per the following...


Might be able to work out who you are likely to be dealing with. A train company operating in the West Midlands area, perhaps?

A couple of supplementary questions. How old are you? Will inspection of your online ticket purchasing history indicate any other instances of child fares having been bought/used, even if you didn't previously get stopped when using same?
It was a Rugby to Leamington spa train. I’m 19 years old- I usually have my social worker pay for my train tickets but she called in sick that day- hence why I got the train as she was meant to pick me up.

I’ve done it a few times, money is tight and trains are the only way of transport to a lot of the areas I need to go.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,151
Location
Wilmslow
If your details were taken it is usual for it to take a matter of months before you are written to. As long as you are happy they have your details correct and that you can receive post sent to the address given, you just need to wait. They know that if they are going to prosecute you they need to lay information before a court within six months, but it’s also far more likely that they will settle with you out of court as long as you engage with them when you eventually hear from them.

Given that you have moved you need to ensure that you will be able to receive mail sent to your old address. If not, you need to write to them quoting your reference number and giving them your new address.
 

chazza

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2025
Messages
5
Location
Warwickshire
If your details were taken it is usual for it to take a matter of months before you are written to. As long as you are happy they have your details correct and that you can receive post sent to the address given, you just need to wait. They know that if they are going to prosecute you they need to lay information before a court within six months, but it’s also far more likely that they will settle with you out of court as long as you engage with them when you eventually hear from them.
I will 100% pay the fine and return a letter explaining why what I did was wrong. I’m just more concerned about court itself-
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,151
Location
Wilmslow
I will 100% pay the fine and return a letter explaining why what I did was wrong. I’m just more concerned about court itself-
It won’t be a fine, although you might view it as such, it will be an agreed amount to settle without going to court. You should update this thread when you eventually hear from them and you will get good advice. But you need to provide more details as requested by @Mcr Warrior before then.
 
Last edited:

chazza

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2025
Messages
5
Location
Warwickshire
It won’t be a fine, although you might view it as such, it will be an agreed amount to settle without going to court. You should update this thread when you eventually here from them and you will get good advice. But you need to provide more details as requested by @Mcr Warrior before then.
Yeah, I did reply to MCR but I’m waiting for it to be approved by a moderator- I will post the letter and a drafted reply upon arrival. This is all so stressful
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,825
I don’t even know what brand train I was on so I can’t research their fine policies

Where were you travelling from and to, and at what time (roughly) on what date? Tell us that and we'll be able to work out who you're likely to be dealing with

Also, were you caught on the train or at a station? If so, which one?

I don’t live at the address they have for me anymore

This happened a couple of weeks ago and you've moved since? Or did you give a moody address?

This is my first offence

First offence or first time getting caught?
 

chazza

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2025
Messages
5
Location
Warwickshire
Where were you travelling from and to, and at what time (roughly) on what date? Tell us that and we'll be able to work out who you're likely to be dealing with

Also, were you caught on the train or at a station? If so, which one?



This happened a couple of weeks ago and you've moved since? Or did you give a moody address?



First offence or first time getting caught?
First time getting caught.

I’m not sure on the date of it as it was a while ago- as for the post it was a staffed home so they are supposed to contact me about any mail

It was rugby to Leamington- I believe it was the rugby to Coventry train that I got caught on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top