• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Still awaiting TfL verification letter - Bus penalty fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industr

New Member
Joined
14 Jul 2025
Messages
2
Location
London
Hello,

Almost exactly 1 month ago I was fare inspected on a TfL bus and unfortunately my Oyster had not properly registered on the buses' card reader and no fare was found. It was 7am with bright morning sun and I had earphones in, and I missed the lack of register on the reader... Anyhow the inspector took down my details via my ID with up-to-date address which he asked me to verbally confirm. I've been waiting for a TfL verification letter since then, and am certain that no letter has been received to my address. I rang TfL Oyster support last week who said there has been no such charge applied.

What are the approx. time periods between being caught and receiving a letter? I plan to ring TfL back to get better confirmation and this information would be helpful.

Thank you
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
TfL normally send out verification letters within a couple of weeks.

I doubt Oyster support will be able to helo with this sort of thing. You really need to contact the Investigations and Appeals team. They won't speak to anyone on the phone so you'd have to email them.

TfL's Revenue Enforcement and Prosecutions Policy will have some contact details:

To be honest, if you're confident you gave them your correct contact details then it really isn't your job to chase them up...
 

Industr

New Member
Joined
14 Jul 2025
Messages
2
Location
London
Thank you for the insight. That is very helpful. I will phone them tomorrow to ascertain why I have not received a letter.
 

swrfanatic

On Moderation
Joined
9 Dec 2024
Messages
34
Location
London
Don't incriminate yourself , let the process take its course and pray they don't get back to you as that it is in your best interest.
Thank you for the insight. That is very helpful. I will phone them tomorrow to ascertain why I have not received a letter.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Thank you for the insight. That is very helpful. I will phone them tomorrow to ascertain why I have not received a letter.
They won't speak to you on the phone about it.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,617
Location
LBK
Thank you for the insight. That is very helpful. I will phone them tomorrow to ascertain why I have not received a letter.
They won’t speak to you on the phone. This is a criminal matter.

I’d leave this well alone if I were you, don’t go reminding them of your offence! Wait for them to get in touch, it’s not your job to chase them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top