• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sticking your head out of the window - tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arabianights

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2011
Messages
150
On my regular journeys on East Coast some of the trains have a marvellous facility where you can stick your head out of the window - and a professional colleague of mine assures me he used to do the same on the Liverpool St - Norwich line, quite often after insufflation of south american imports (but he is a no longer a naughty boy now!)

Anyhow it does somewhat occur that there is some danger in this perhaps, I am aware of the concept of a "loading gauge" (perhaps this is a little information being dangerous!) and so I feel fairly safe to just peek out before seeing if anything nasty seems to be coming along to hit as surely my forehead is smaller than the possible play in the suspension (even with my huge brain) that the lineside equipment must be able to avoid... but anyway I ramble somewhat, and no one wants to be a rambler (excpet a rambler - support right to roam what what!) so let's cut to the chase:

Please share your tips and personal experiences about head-out-of-window-sticking.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,590
Location
LBK
It's best when the train has stopped completely in a station....exhilarating.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
For 'tips' I would say don't do it! ;) Seriously though out on the mainline it isn't really a safe thing to be doing there are plenty of stories of people losing heads and there was a case not so long ago of a guy traveling with FGW who suffered lacerations to his face because he didn't get out of the way of a line side tree whilst sticking his head out of the window.

That being said I have from time to time put my head out the window. Mostly on heritage lines where the speeds are low there is no traffic coming the other way and it's easy to see and dangerous line side obstructions (still didn't stop me getting clobbered by a tree once though!). Out on the mainline the only times I put my head out of the window are when the train is pulling into a station then I quite enjoy it and it's relatively safe as well.
 

arabianights

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2011
Messages
150
It's best when the train has stopped completely in a station....exhilarating.

Perhaps in such a scenario one could make chugging noises and close ones eyes, while finally finding a use for one of those battery powered fans one gets in upper-middle-class christmas crackers to provide the illusion of speed...?

NO!

There is no substitute for reality!

Or so the angels tell me :)
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
On my regular journeys on East Coast some of the trains have a marvellous facility where you can stick your head out of the window - and a professional colleague of mine assures me he used to do the same on the Liverpool St - Norwich line, quite often after insufflation of south american imports (but he is a no longer a naughty boy now!)

Anyhow it does somewhat occur that there is some danger in this perhaps, I am aware of the concept of a "loading gauge" (perhaps this is a little information being dangerous!) and so I feel fairly safe to just peek out before seeing if anything nasty seems to be coming along to hit as surely my forehead is smaller than the possible play in the suspension (even with my huge brain) that the lineside equipment must be able to avoid... but anyway I ramble somewhat, and no one wants to be a rambler (excpet a rambler - support right to roam what what!) so let's cut to the chase:

Please share your tips and personal experiences about head-out-of-window-sticking.


Just before the Lymington CIGs were withdrawn last year, the last journey I made on one was mainly poking my head out the window, but once it gets to the full line speed its quite sensible to only hang out a little.

At the Swanage diesal gala last month I was in a CIG, being hauled behing a 'Grid', hanging out a Mk1 + a 'Grid' gives you a really nostalgic feeling. Although it never happened whilst they were in service!
 

arabianights

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2011
Messages
150
What's a CIG? Is it like a FAG?

:p

(Obviously I realise it's some kind of train and/or coach but is there a list of these acronyms anywhere?)
 

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
Come join the regulars in coach A on the Pretendo on a Friday evening, we all do it :D
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,893
Location
South Wales
Just be careful not to loose your glases, like i did back in february. My freinds thought it was funny and i suppose i do looking back at it, but at the time i had to pay £50 for a new pair and it was difficult to drive not wearing glases.

Now i make sure i have some string tied onto them when i put my head slightly out of the hst window
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,610
I'd rather not risk it on a mainline. Have done so a couple of times when the train is slowing down into a station, but other than that, I have heard too many horror stories!

I did do it at normal speed on the west somerset railway a few months back, and ended up getting a load of soot and stuff in my eyes. Wasn't a good idea really, but was the first time I've been on a steam train so didn't think!
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
open window, hands on carriage wall, lean out - simples! ( perhaps a quick shufty before hand to avoid the tunnel entrance/signal post/tree/mast etc!)
 

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
Don't forget your RayBans! 100mph through Berkswell is no fun when you're crying.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
you can tell you are a southerner. Us form the north dont give in that easily! ( plus i wear glasses so it is ok):D:D:D:D:D
 

TomJ93

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2010
Messages
865
I'm from the Midlands! Did the final WSMR blimey it was cold!
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
I'm from the Midlands! Did the final WSMR blimey it was cold!
No it wasn’t, it was quite a mild day. And I spent most of it in a kilt, so I’d know! :D

Definitely a southerner: None of this “midlander” rubbish, you’re either northern or you’re not, there’s no room for sitting on the fence. ;)
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I had my head out most of the way from Abergavenny to Chester yesterday. Just as it should be. Lovely mk II stock as well :)
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
Exactly - Southerner! ( anywhere south of Doncaster is the South, anywhere north of Newcastle is Scotland!)

:D:D:D:D:D
Well spoke indeed! That's the sort of "them and us" attitude we need to see more often! :D

Signed,
A mackem exiled in Birmingham
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I had my head out most of the way from Abergavenny to Chester yesterday. Just as it should be. Lovely mk II stock as well :)
The much maligned "coffin" stock though, and behind a reconstituted "duff" as well: Are you sure that you're feeling alright? ;)

I suppose in this day and age any loco haulage is worth it.
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
I've stuck my head out of the window on a few occasions. Usually I pull back once the train picks up speed otherwise it becomes extremely uncomfortable.

I also take a 'common sense' approach: if I'm looking towards the four-foot I won't do it, since I don't want to lose my head!

The last time I took part in this activity was on an HST from Exeter to Westbury last December. Although I'd reserved a seat, the train was standing room only, and in any event I decided to stay in the vestibule to keep an eye on my luggage. I spent most of the journey looking out of the droplight at the snow covered countryside :)
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Well spoke indeed! That's the sort of "them and us" attitude we need to see more often! :D

Signed,
A mackem exiled in Birmingham
QUOTE]

And THEY think THEY are better than US!

(Not sure what i am, born in Durham, all family come from Sunderland area, lived in Darlo most of my life but also Newcastle, Northallerton and York! But exiled in MK now!)

In fact i think i will get an HST back to the south and stick my head out for a bit - give it a try at full pelt, certainly a "bracing" experiance
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
In fact i think i will get an HST back to the south and stick my head out for a bit - give it a try at full pelt, certainly a "bracing" experiance
"Refreshing" is how I would describe it: Certainly makes the eyes water a tad, but a great way to wake yourself up in the morning if you are lucky enough to travel on a route that sees HST operation.

I've probably had more miles of "heads out" on HSTs than on any other form of rolling stock, which is something that on-train staff are not too keen on due to the high speeds involved, and I can understand their point. Best to limit it to railtours, preserved lines and slower speed LHCS services where they exist I think.
 

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
For 'tips' I would say don't do it! ;) Seriously though out on the mainline it isn't really a safe thing to be doing there are plenty of stories of people losing heads and there was a case not so long ago of a guy traveling with FGW who suffered lacerations to his face because he didn't get out of the way of a line side tree whilst sticking his head out of the window.

What "plenty of stories of people losing heads" apart from the one serious incident with a kettle charter in North Wales in the mid 90s I don't think there has been anything of sort since has there?
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I've never heard of anyone losing anything when doing heads-out. Apart maybe from his breath if on an HST going at 125.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,473
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Well spoke indeed! That's the sort of "them and us" attitude we need to see more often! :D

Signed,
A mackem exiled in Birmingham
QUOTE]

On the NR General Discussion Forum, it only needs a mention of Yorkshire having better units than Lancashire...and vice-versa... then two champions (one for each side of the Pennines) reach for the "blogosphere" and a verbal Battle of the Roses then ensues.
 
Joined
12 Dec 2009
Messages
634
Location
Carmarthen
Back in 2004, I filmed out the window the entire journey along the Swansea District Line between Llandeilo Junction and Briton Ferry whilst being hauled by 37425 (Fishguard to Rhymney service) and the guard didn't seem to mind. But certain guards with FGW will discourage you from going near the windows saying "there are seats you know!" Makes me feel uncomfortable that when I just want to enjoy the occasional peek out, certainly not head and shoulders flailing out!
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Definitely a southerner: None of this “midlander” rubbish, you’re either northern or you’re not, there’s no room for sitting on the fence. ;)
If it was done by regional accents, then the Midlands would have to be on its own, not with the south.

In my home county of Wiltshire (yes I'm a southerner), there is a slight 'farmers' accent. But in Worcestershire, even the county is split in two for dialects: the farther NE you go, the more prevalent 'brummie' becomes, but going SE it becomes countrified with the 'farmer' tone :)
I prefer to be called a midlander than northern or southern ;)

Also, it's a matter of opinion. Someone said that anywhere farther south than Doncaster is south. But in the Midlands, generally anywhere north of Stoke-upon-Trent is north and south of Gloucester is south. And the same with southerners, they'll probably say anywhere north of Oxford is 'northern'
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I'm from the Midlands! Did the final WSMR blimey it was cold!

Exactly - Southerner! ( anywhere south of Doncaster is the South)
:D:D:D:D:D

You're all bloody Southerners!


As for heads out, Not someting I'll generally do. I'll stick the camera out when not at particularly high speed, and I'll happily lean out at low speed, but once at higher speed, it's a case of stay just in the window and look out.
 

arabianights

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2011
Messages
150
Sourtherners are a bloody nuisance, I agree. I sadly have to work darn sarf but I don't feel comfortable south of Durham really...
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
Being a Southerner myself, there are odd moments that crop up. Like asking my friend (originally of the Macclesfield area) to repeat occasional phrases. Or, when visiting Newcastle with him, having to get him to repeat everything I said so the Geordies could bl**dy understand me... <D Strangely, I had no trouble understanding about 90% of what they said, as long as I didn't get too hung up on the finer details... :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top