• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stena Line / Harwich International

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddington

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2013
Messages
964
I want to book a ferry from Harwich to HvH in March, 6 months away. My wife wishes to take the day crossing so she can see outside.

We would be travelling from Liverpool St or Stratford.

I want to use Tesco clubcard points to pay, which cannot be used to book a rail&sail - only the ferry itself.

Checking prices for UK train tickets, obviously we can only look 3 months ahead from now, but it seems that Advance tickets are not sold on the direct service from Liv St to HPQ, which arrives at 0809, nor any earlier trains.

However, advances are available for the service that arrives from Manningtree at 0817.

Not being able to buy an advance ticket would negate the savings from using Tesco points.

Does anyone know if we would be able to check-in on time if taking this train? The website does say that some trains arrive later than the latest check-in time - but if not booked on a through ticket, I'm not sure if they would let us on, even as passengers taking the same train on a through ticket may be allowed on...?

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roadie

Member
Joined
31 Dec 2009
Messages
33
Location
Wokingham
This is an excellent trip, I would book the all inclusive ticket.

A couple of years ago after the trains were delayed they put us all in Taxis from Ipswich(?), and we sped across to Harwich.

There was talk about putting us up in hotels if we missed the ferry but I think that was pure speculation.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,985
Location
Airedale
It seems that GA only do reservations and therefore Advances on Norwich and Clacton trains. Conceivably this might relate to the rolling stock used, I don't know.

The problem arises on Saturdays specifically.

A workaround would be to book an Advance on the 0630 to Manningtree, and an unrestricted ticket for the rest. It would be a same platform change, and a rather more comfortable journey IMO.

Arriving at 0817 you would just join the end of the queue to check in, the problem is if you are delayed because the branch train might well not wait more than a couple of minutes.
 

paddington

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2013
Messages
964
It seems that GA only do reservations and therefore Advances on Norwich and Clacton trains. Conceivably this might relate to the rolling stock used, I don't know.

The problem arises on Saturdays specifically.

A workaround would be to book an Advance on the 0630 to Manningtree, and an unrestricted ticket for the rest. It would be a same platform change, and a rather more comfortable journey IMO.

Arriving at 0817 you would just join the end of the queue to check in, the problem is if you are delayed because the branch train might well not wait more than a couple of minutes.

I see, the 0630 to Manningtree actually connects to the 0638 LST-HPQ and hence is a same-platform change. Conceivably** I could even seek out the guard on the 0638 and ask if he would permit us to travel on his service.

I missed seeing this option because this year there has been trackwork almost every weekend, which causes the LST-HPQ to be replaced by a non-stopping bus. Then the 0630 won't run or may not connect - and we won't know if there are works planned until nearer the time.

We may have to stay in the Holiday Inn Colchester for 15000 IHG points. We will be flying Amsterdam to Asia then back to London a month later, so driving isn't an option either.


** I don't think I've ever used this word in my life, but it seems to be the right word here :p
 

stut

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
1,924
You could phone Stena Line and ask if it's possible to pay a supplement for the rail connections on either side - they've been flexible with me in the past, for example, when I bought a bike in Amsterdam and wanted to bring it back (€5 supplement, paid at the port).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top