• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam locomotive cab question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

2392

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2015
Messages
248
Location
Felling on Tyne
They are part of the lubrication system. Both are oil reservoirs, with the plumping from both going to various points on the loco that need lubrication. By the look of these reservoirs the parts they don't use much oil, though the crew could keep an eye on the oil levels and top'em up as required whilst on the move.
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
It's a long time since I've been on one, but this reminds me of a Bulleid pacific cab. Can anyone confirm or otherwise?
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Looks quite American to me.

I think 70014IronDuke is spot on, although the apparatus in question only appears to be present in the cabs of unrebuilt examples of both MN and Light Pacific's, at least in the shots in publications I have found at home plus online.
 

Flying Phil

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2016
Messages
2,086
I think 70014IronDuke is spot on, although the apparatus in question only appears to be present in the cabs of unrebuilt examples of both MN and Light Pacific's, at least in the shots in publications I have found at home plus online.

I think it is the cab of a rebuilt Bulleid as the original Bulleid pacifics had steam operated firedoors (but they may have been removed even on the originals?). As it is so clean, and there are lots of tools/nuts etc there it may be an early firing of a nearly restored/finished engine?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top