• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam back on the Met - Hairy Bikers

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

On Moderation
Joined
14 May 2007
Messages
790
I watched this last night, I'm wondering about the LU 150 steam runs, what Met no.12 Sarah Siddons was doing in the consist. Was it for brakes or as emergency power to move the train? I could see a Class 20 at the back. L1 seemed to fail with a big end bearing before her run.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Sarah Siddons was used to pull the train when it was going in the other direction.
 

102 fan

On Moderation
Joined
14 May 2007
Messages
790
Sarah Siddons was used to pull the train when it was going in the other direction.

Sarah Siddons was directly behind the steamer. There seemed to be a pair of 20's for this purpose.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Not on any of the passenger runs I travelled on, or saw, in January. Are you referring to a different trip?
 

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2011
Messages
2,163
Location
JB
Not on any of the passenger runs I travelled on, or saw, in January. Are you referring to a different trip?

The Steam runs back in May used the consist shown in the video - steam loco, Sarah, Jubilee coach, 4-TC and a class 20.

The January runs used Met 1, Jubilee coach, Chesham set and Sarah.

Sarah was providing power during the May runs, but I couldn't tell you why I'm afraid.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
The Steam runs back in May used the consist shown in the video - steam loco, Sarah, Jubilee coach, 4-TC and a class 20.

The January runs used Met 1, Jubilee coach, Chesham set and Sarah.

Thank you - so the OP was not referring to the LU 150 steam runs as he put in the title/OP - but the "Steam back on the Met" event in May. I have corrected the thread title accordingly.
 

Met Driver

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,734
I watched this last night, I'm wondering about the LU 150 steam runs, what Met no.12 Sarah Siddons was doing in the consist. Was it for brakes or as emergency power to move the train? I could see a Class 20 at the back. L1 seemed to fail with a big end bearing before her run.

Sarah Siddons was in the consist to provide compatibility between the vacuum-braked steam locomotive and the air-braked 4TC, as well as to provide power to the 4TC's motor-alternator (which in turn supplies the lighting).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top