Hi all,
I appreciate this topic has been discussed before and I’ve found reading the replies really helpful. My case is slightly different circumstantially in that I only sat down in a first class seat for a couple of seconds without a valid first class ticket and so I wondered if this held any weight..?
Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.
I appreciate this topic has been discussed before and I’ve found reading the replies really helpful. My case is slightly different circumstantially in that I only sat down in a first class seat for a couple of seconds without a valid first class ticket and so I wondered if this held any weight..?
- I boarded the 9.33am train from St Albans on a weekday and my end destination was London St Pancras.
- I had a super off peak return, standard class ticket.
- I boarded the train with my mother. A “passenger host” (inspector) asked myself and my mother for our tickets (approx 2-3 minutes after the train left our station). My mother had a valid first class ticket and I asked if I could sit with her so we could travel together. Moments before he had asked to see our tickets, I sat down for about 2 seconds which the inspector observed (& later agreed he only saw me sitting for this short time). We would’ve have approached him before he asked to see our tickets to check if I could sit with my mum, but he was checking the tickets of other passengers.
- I declined to pay the penalty fare as I felt it was unfair given my honest intentions, because I had immediately suggested we would both move to a std class carriage, and due to the brief amount of time I were in the wrong area of the train. I chose the MG11 option and so I’m awaiting to hear from them.
Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.
