• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staying focussed during long signal waits

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidal

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2017
Messages
140
Location
Bolton
How do drivers stay awake and alert during long waits at signals? It's not uncommon for freight trains to be held for many minutes in loops waiting for faster services etc to pass. At night, with the heater on I presume there must be sometimes when the eyelids become very heavy. What techniques do people use?

I ask this because when I used to commute home from night shifts I was always hyper aware if I was caught in a traffic jam there would be the tendency to feel really tired and I just wondered how professionals dealt with it.

James
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

800301

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
542
Location
Essex
How do drivers stay awake and alert during long waits at signals? It's not uncommon for freight trains to be held for many minutes in loops waiting for faster services etc to pass. At night, with the heater on I presume there must be sometimes when the eyelids become very heavy. What techniques do people use?

I ask this because when I used to commute home from night shifts I was always hyper aware if I was caught in a traffic jam there would be the tendency to feel really tired and I just wondered how professionals dealt with it.

James

Generally you are timetabled to wait and know when you should be on the move etc, any variations to that the signaller may give you a courtesy call, other than that just keep looking up every few mins
 

Nicholas43

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2011
Messages
653
Location
Radley
I recall, in 1979, noticing, in the small hours, at, I think, Redhill, that no-one was doing anything to dispatch my train from Oxford to Brighton, although it had a green signal. I walked to the front cab, and tapped on the window to awaken the driver (and, I think) second man.
 

AverageJoe

On Moderation
Joined
23 Dec 2021
Messages
674
Location
United Kingdom
How do drivers stay awake and alert during long waits at signals? It's not uncommon for freight trains to be held for many minutes in loops waiting for faster services etc to pass. At night, with the heater on I presume there must be sometimes when the eyelids become very heavy. What techniques do people use?

I ask this because when I used to commute home from night shifts I was always hyper aware if I was caught in a traffic jam there would be the tendency to feel really tired and I just wondered how professionals dealt with it.

James
Obviously you are travelling home from a days work and switching off from work mode whereas drivers in the cab are still trying to remain in the zone so to speak.

As you say night time can be the hardest to maintain concentration but being well rested before work plays a massive part in it for us.

If I’m feeling tired at any point the heater is turned down and maybe a window opened.

When waiting at signals for a period of time I’ll stand up and stretch my legs.

I sign 2 tractions, one has a window so I’ll stick my head out and get some fresh air, the other has a large space behind me so sometimes I may do some press ups or walk about :lol:

If im empty stock and I expect to be sat there a while I’ll even go into the saloon and check my phone for a minute, use the toilet and so on.
 

Unobrow

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2024
Messages
243
Location
Manchester
Generally you are timetabled to wait and know when you should be on the move etc, any variations to that the signaller may give you a courtesy call, other than that just keep looking up every few mins
That’s pretty much it for me too. If we’re looped for a while, it’s an opportunity to shut your eyes, chill and take a breather. Maybe even a Power Nap if it suits you as a person. Set the alarm for 5-10min before you’re due off and it’s usually fine. If you get let out early and are inspecting your eyelids, the signallers are usually pretty good at letting you know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top