• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you've used but not left the NR network at

Status
Not open for further replies.

ileikcaek

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
24
For me I can only think of Oxenholme (changing to the Windermere train) and Llandudno Junction (That day on the North Wales line was a bad one and we were over two hours late getting back to Chester because somebody jumped off a bridge in front of a train) :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
I was then about to say Ely, but then I realised I have often made good use of the Tesco across the car park.

Smethwick GB
Wolverhampton
Stowmarket
Oxford
Sunderland
 
Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,775
Location
Yorkshire
I have never heard of anyone actually leaving the station at Clapham Jnc.

I have - and I've never changed there.

Stations I have changes at without leaving include:

Preston
Carlisle
Crewe
Chester
Northampton (went through the barriers but did not leave the building)
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
Think this is now my definitive list.

Ascot
Avonmouth
Bethnal Green
Bidston
Bowker Vale *
Bridgend
Chinley
Codsall (went to pub on platform)
Crayford
Crystal Palace
Dovey Junction
Ebbw Vale
Edge Hill
Elmers End
Gunnislake
Hadfield
Helsby
Kents Bank (got off by mistake, reboarded train when realised)
Kirkham & Wesham
Maesteg
Maiden Newton
Mangotsfield *
Millers Dale *
Penarth
Princes Risborough
Seaford
Shipley
Slade Green
Stranraer
Strood
Trent *
Tutbury *
West Ruislip

* - since closed
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
No "since closeds" I'm afraid, but plenty where I've never actually left the station.
  • Finsbury Park (strangely, must have changed there dozens of times)
  • Grantham
  • Leeds
  • Haymarket
  • Leicester
  • Preston
  • Oxenholme
  • Banbury
  • Slough
  • Taunton
  • Exeter St David's
  • Clapham Junction
  • Woking
  • Basingstoke

There are quite a few others where I headed out, took a picture from a bridge, then went straight back again. Dover Priory for one. Darlington, Newark, Tonbridge, Dundee and a few others are only off the list because of rail-replacement buses.

Gatwick Airport sort-of counts. If you consider the station to be part of the airport, I have never left airport premises at Gatwick.
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
That reminds me - add Dovey Junction to my list !!

Ditto! Fantastic little station! Would love to buy it and set up home there!
There arent many others I can count.
Machynlleth will be another.
Bridgend
Bournemouth
Redhill
Norwood Junction
Sutton
Peckham Rye
Hold on, theres more than i though!
Balham
Streatham Hill
Beckenham Junc
Clapham Junc
Orpington

Theres one or two more, but cant think of them off hand!
Nothing beats good old Dovey though!
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Doncaster and Birmingham New Street. I think that might actually be it.
 

craigwilson

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
424
Location
Buxton, Derbyshire
My list is:

Faversham
Swanley
Sittingbourne
Peterborough
York
Wakefield Westgate
Sheffield (only ever gone into/through there by car)
Bristol Temple Meads (I always go to Parkway generally)
Warrington Bank Quay
Newport (South Wales)
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
Reading, Woking, Guildford, Willesden Junction, Clapham Junct, Doncaster, Gospel Oak, Richmond, Bristol Parkway
 

Marvin

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2011
Messages
120
Good topic!

Stations where I fulfil the exact letter of the OP:

Clapham Junction
East Croydon
Gospel Oak
Barking
Lewisham
Northallerton
Thornaby
Sheffield
Hatfield and Stainforth
Shipley
Yarm
Machynlleth
Basingstoke
Reading
Wakefield Westgate
Bangor
Chester
Nuneaton
Pontefract Monkhill
Ely
Brundall
Princes Risborough
Eastleigh
Bristol Parkway
Manchester Airport (yes, really!)
Oxenholme

Stations I've been on spotting bashes to, didn't actually go into the towns, but had a couple of smokes in the car park so I'm not sure if they count:

Carlisle
Westbury
Newport
Crewe
Long Buckby

Stations where the only reason I've left the premises was to buy refreshments for the onward journey because the buffet was either closed, rubbish or nonexistent:

Llandudno Junction
Derby
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Some I can immediately remember..

Clapham Junction, Willesden Junction, Highbury & Islington, Smethwick Galton Bridge, Derby, Crewe, Oxenholme Lake District, Kirkby, Ormskirk, Bidston, Sandhills, Llandudno Junction, Shrewsbury, Wolverhampton, Thornaby, Stratford, Doncaster.

Probably a fair few missed off..
 
Last edited:

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
The only two I've got that definitely fit the criteria are Woking and Stockport-I had several others which were discounted after considering each one and managing to recall a time when I left the station for some reason.
 

imagination

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2010
Messages
505
Birmingham New Street
Haymarket
Newport (South Wales)
Clapham Junction
Ipswich
Preston (only because the train I was on broke down)

I cant think of any others but I know there are quite a few in south London from several years ago.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Whilst out spotting (and not at any other time) -

Leeds
Harrow & Wealdstone
Ealing Broadway

Whilst changing trains (and not at any other time) -

Oxford
Earlestown
Newton-Le-Willows
Stockport
Reading
Preston
Leicester
Sheffield
Nottingham
Waterloo East (if you count the bridge to Waterloo as railway land)
Northampton

Whilst at Work (and not at any other time) -

City Thameslink (for the first two or three years)
Brighton
Kentish Town
 

lewisf

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2009
Messages
381
Location
Kingston/Surbiton
I've changed at Southampton Central, and driven to it from my sister's nearby student house and have used the ticket office, but never started or ended a journey on the NR network from there.
 

chris89

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2009
Messages
1,373
Location
Somewhere
Some i've used but a while ago.

Castle Cary
Weymouth
Bristol Temple Meads
Bath
Glasgow Queen Street (Low & High level)
Aviemore (To the Strasphey)

Chris
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Bradford Forster Square
Bradford Interchange
Brighouse
Brough
Carlisle
Darlington
Doncaster
Harrogate
Kings Cross (does changing from/to LU count?)
Long Eaton
Manchester Piccadilly
Preston
Seamer
Selby
Vauxhall (does changing from/to LU count?)
Waterloo (does changing from/to LU count?)

I'm quite shocked by that list! Can definitely see my last Rover's influence on it!
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
When travelling by train (may have been to these places at other times by car etc):

Banbury
Berkhamsted
Bletchley
Clapham Junction
Coventry (definitely being there by car though)
Derby
Droitwich Spa
Great Malvern (nearly wandered out but couldn't see anything in the immediate vicinity so stayed on the platform!)
Hamilton Square
Haymarket
Headingley (provided you don't count the method of changing platforms as leaving the station)
Hooton
Keighley
Kiddeminster
Kilwinning (excuse to go on a 380!)
Kirkcaldy
Leamington Spa
Leicester
Lichfield Trent Valley
Llandudno Junction
Newcraighall
Newton-le-Willows
North Berwick (nearly did but decided an hour wait for the next train was too long!)
Nuneaton
Peterborough
Pontefract Monkhill
Redditch
Rhyl
Shipley
Shrewsbury
Smethwick Galton Bridge
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stratford-upon-Avon
University
Watford Junction
Wilmcote
Worcester (Foregate St)

If it wasn't for a rail replacement bus we took from/to outside each station:
Rugeley Trent Valley
Hednesford

Also Hucknall if you were to not count changing from NR to NET which is effectively the same station :P

That's all I can think of - not too bad, eh? :P
 
Last edited:

150222

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2011
Messages
1,002
lancaster (change to barrow line c.2007), banbury (2011), preston (many times), paddington (for the tube 2011), oxenholme lake district (windermere 2007), doncaster (gner to atn c.2002), birmingham interntional (virgin voyager to central/silverlink 350 c.2006) and darlington (many times) woodlands road on the metrolink bury line (missed stop at victoria c.2003)and boston manor on the piccadilly line (due to train fault) and edgware road (circle line 2011).
 

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
birmingham new street, changed trains once. Crewe, Stoke, Hooton, Bradford interchange, Shipley, Fitzwilliam, Preston, Skipton... i think that is it :) Nope, Derby too.

Now i know thats not true because in another thread you said that you'd travelled on a EMT football special to watch a 3rd round FA cup tie against the Rams! Having said that once you've seen Pride Park nothing else in Derby is worth looking at................
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top