• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you've used but not left the NR network at

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
What stations have you used but not never left the National Rail network at? (Stations where you've not left the actual building but changed to a LU or tram system are excluded.)

Mine are:
Wakefield Westgate - only used to change between a GNER service and the Wakefield-Victoria stopper.
St Helens Junction - only used to change between an Airport-Lime Street service and a Victoria-Lime Street service.
Newton-le-Willows - only used to change between an Lime Street-Huddersfield service and a Llandudno-Piccadilly service.
Hunts Cross - only used to change between an Oxford Road-Lime Street service and a Hunts Cross-Southport service.
Hooton - only used to change between a Liverpool Central-Ellesmere Port service and a Rock Ferry-Chester service (started short due to disruption.)
Manchester Oxford Road - various changes but never left or entered the station building - except on a train.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
Well that could be any station you used to change trains. Ever.

This morning - Bletchley. I used platform 6, the stairs, the bridge and platform 4. I didnt even sit down
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
This would probably run into the 100s for me, if not 1000s. Probably one of the biggest must be Birmingham New Street. Never actually been into the city itself.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I would still be here at lunchtime listing all of mine, there's deffo more than 150!
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Well that could be any station you used to change trains. Ever.

No you can't count a station you've changed at if you've ever ended a journey there. For instance, if you did Manchester to Birmingham New Street once when visiting Birmingham, then you can't count any time you've used Birmingham New Street to change trains.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
No you can't count a station you've changed at if you've ever ended a journey there. For instance, if you did Manchester to Birmingham New Street once when visiting Birmingham, then you can't count any time you've used Birmingham New Street to change trains.

It is still going to be many, many places! There are loads of places you changes trains but have never gone. What if yiou have visted the palce by car but NOT by train and have ONLY used the station to change.

An example, I have been to Highfield Road in Coventry for the match, i went in the car. I went to the ghround and a pub. I have changed trains at Coventry quite a few times and never left the station - how do we class this?
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,674
birmingham new street, changed trains once. Crewe, Stoke, Hooton, Bradford interchange, Shipley, Fitzwilliam, Preston, Skipton... i think that is it :) Nope, Derby too.
 

BlythPower

Member
Joined
15 Jan 2009
Messages
864
Location
Kenilworth
Right, first few off the top of my head: Barking, Willesden Junction, Gospel Oak, Highbury and Islington, Watford Junction, Sandhills, Hooton, Kirby, Ellesmere Port, Hamilton Square, Birkenhead North, Bedford, Halifax, Stourbridge Junction and Smethwick Rolfe Street.
 
Last edited:

dzug2

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2011
Messages
867
I can think of a couple where I've turned round and got the next train back (Skegness, Fishguard Harbour) but none where it's just been to change trains.

Mind you the memory of exactly what I did railrovering around Scotland 45 years ago is a bit fuzzy...
 

jaigee

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2011
Messages
151
Stalybridge, I often travel there and just go in the Buffet Bar. I have never gone off the station yet, when I get there I can't wait to get in the bar, and when I leave it's on the last minute to catch my train back. :roll:
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,668
I've used Clapham Junction, London Waterloo, Vauxhall, Queenstown Road and Basingstoke, all for work, didn't exit the stations :lol:
 

stut

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
1,924
Hmm, trying to think of one. I'm one of those people whose curiosity always gets the better of them, so I will generally go out for a wander when I'm changing trains, even in the least likely areas... However, there's quite a few:

Salford Crescent - on a probably inefficient route from Salford Central to the airport
Ashford International - to/from Marshlink and the HS1 services
Tonbridge - from slow to fast, bound for the Kent Coast
Lewes - some odd route to Brighton, can't remember why
Barnham - trips from London to lovely Bosham
Brockenhurst - for Lymington
Smethwick Galton Bridge - those times I'm too lazy to walk to Moor St :)
Stourbridge Junction - feel the Gs on that PPM
Shenfield - heading towards Burnham-on-Crouch
Stockport - from Donny to Cheshire
Aldershot - from Guildford to Farnham
Watford Junction - for the Abbey Line or Watford High St
Willesden Junction - Underground, Overground, sadly wombleless
Tulse Hill - we're only 24 hours from changing to Thameslink
Sevenoaks - when I took one of the few Cannon St services that didn't stop at London Bridge (oops)
West Hampstead - if you count the walk between Overground & Thameslink
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
Maesteg, Bridgend, Penarth, Ebbw Vale - all on the same day !!

Probably a few others as well, but being a bus & beer nut, I tend to explore the local area if at all possible.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Droitwich Spa
Worcester Foregate Street
Worcester Shrub Hill
Kidderminster (if SVR counts)
Birmingham New Street (at least 30 times)
 

158_Sprinter

Member
Joined
21 Jun 2011
Messages
35
Location
Oswestry
Bristol Temple Meads - Changing for Exeter from Newport SW, Birmingham.
Taunton - Changing from a Cardiff - Taunton service to an Exeter St David's service.
Par - Changing from St Austell to Teignmouth because the only train from St Austell at the time changed at Par with no through service to Plymouth. Fortunately changed from a 153 to a HST! Then a 142 from Newton Abbot.
Newport South Wales - Changing from a Manchester - Cardiff service to a Cardiff - Portsmouth service for Bristol TM.
Preston - Blackpool to Crewe.
Llandudno Junction.
Stockport.
Manchester Airport - Travelling Crewe to York.
Oxenholme for Windermere.
 
Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
Hmm, you think it's going to be a lot but then when it comes to it you start thinking "actually, I went for a 10 minute stroll there" or "wait, I decided I'd go looking for a cheaper place to buy a drink". Or at least, I do anyway.

So I think my only examples are Birmingham New Street, Northallerton and Raynes Park!
 

cle

Established Member
Joined
17 Nov 2010
Messages
5,667
Birmingham New St
Crewe (must be a big one for people!)
Exeter St D
Newport
Southampton Central
Salford Crescent
Darlington
Hyndland
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Aston - To avoid changing at BHM, thus getting a seat.

Milton Keynes Central - I stepped out onto the platform for some fresh air (the train was being held because we arrived 16 minutes early)
 

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,145
Location
Surrey
Just to add a curiosity to the mix. It's European as that is my main focus these days:

In Switzerland there is a station that has no public access to the 'outside world' so you can do nothing but change trains there!

Ironically this is one place where most people probably would not mind going outside the station (except perhaps anyone who hates open countryside, peace & quiet, magnificent Alpine mountain views etc!)

It is Sagliains, in the Engadin valley, South East Switzerland. The station was opened at the same time (November 1999) as the 19km long Vereina tunnel which is a link (with car carrying shuttle trains) which massively reduced the journey time between north Switzerland and the Lower Engadin region (avoiding a circuitous rail journey via the Albula railway, or a drive over a high altitude (2300m +) mountain pass.


.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thought:

did anyone ever go off the station at Sinfin Central?



.
 
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,681
Location
LBK
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thought:

did anyone ever go off the station at Sinfin Central?



.

Don't see why not - it served a factory did it not?
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
did anyone ever go off the station at Sinfin Central?
On a charter a few years back I remember people bailed at Sinfin and left the station (either scatching the branch or the shed on a cheap part fare I presume).

I have quite a few strange ones as my rules state that the shack tick only counts if I alight and board different services (or alight and walk elsewhere, or arrive by other means and board). The number would be larger had I not walked across the road at a few to get a phot of the station building.
 

BlythPower

Member
Joined
15 Jan 2009
Messages
864
Location
Kenilworth
If I included ones where I'd been through the ticket barriers to use the loos but not left the station building, it'd add Northampton, Bletchley, Ormskirk and Chester to my list.

Post 250 and it's about bogs...
 
Last edited:

chris89

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2009
Messages
1,373
Location
Somewhere
For me over the last weekend.

Smethwick Galton Bridge - Was lazy to walk from Moor Street to New Street.

Birmingham New Street

Edinburgh Waverly - Well always this one to get Trains to Armadale even though ticket machines still don't have it on them :@

Glasgow Central - Low level to High level.

Chris
 

Captain Chaos

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2011
Messages
840
Edinburgh Waverley
Crewe
Chester
Newport (South Wales)
Gatwick Airport
Haywards Heath
Three Bridges
Derby
Par
St Erth
Bristol Parkway
Gloucester
Llandudno Junction
Bath Spa
 

googolplex

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2009
Messages
220
I could only think of a few initially, then more popped into my head.
The ones I can remember are:
Peterborough
Doncaster
Sheffield
Derby
Haymarket
Clapham Junction
East Croydon
Havant

I remember ages ago catching a Virgin Trains branded bus from Birmingham New Street to Stratford Upon Avon (similar to the MK to Luton Airport one). Would this count as leaving the NR network, or would it be considered the same as changing trains?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top