• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations unsure of their name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,726
Location
Leeds
Although the Midland reached Carlisle via Leeds, I don't think there were any "Midland" monikers north of Sheffield?
Places like Rotherham, Leeds, Bradford, Kirby Lonsdale and Appleby were given other names (local or "East/West").
I don't think any stations on the Bristol-Birmingham-Derby line had Midland in their names either.
Rugby was for a time Rugby Midland, though it wasn't a Midland Railway-owned station.
I think Sheffield was just called Midland to distinguish it from Victoria, they didn't seem to generically add the company or a 'brand' name to their stations. Leeds was Leeds until it moved and became Leeds Wellington (the original being Leeds Hunslet Lane) for example. Barnsley was Barnsley until it became Barnsley Low Town. I can't immediately spot any former "Midlands", anyway!
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Also Broad Green (station) and Broadgreen (hospital); New Hey and Newhey until Metrolink adopted the one-word version.
Slightly off-topic, but the A640 road from Huddersfield to Rochdale is named New Hey Road from about 2km out of Huddersfield up to beyond Outlane near junction 23 of the M62. I assume this refers to the settlement served by Metrolink, despite its insignificance.
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Darlington Bank Top

To differentiate from Darlington North Road.

And is it Kings Cross or King's Cross?

Darlington Bank Top/ Darlington

( i don't think it has been known, officially, as Bank Top since about the 1930's!)

On the occasions when I have been to Darlington, I have noticed that there is a plaque on the wall next to the entrance of the British Transport Police office, which states the address being Bank Top Station, Darlington, DL3 nxx.
 

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Joined
26 Dec 2019
Messages
3,459
Location
The North
"Royal" Leamington Spa (main station for Warwick) is one of my favourites.

I think traditional, longer names are often good, for example for people who knew the place and return after many years away.
Who on earth would confuse Leamington Spa as another town just because ‘Royal’ was removed?
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,442
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
In Welsh, a well (spring) is Ffynnon (as in Ffynnongroyw or Pontyffynnon or Treffynnon).
So it's odd that the 3 "spa" stations on the Central Wales line don't use it in their name.

TfW serve Cheltenham Spa but don't use a Welsh name for the place (unlike Gloucester - Caerloyw).

I guess it could be a case that they started off with the names in isolation, then the railway came and made a point of using Wells (as done with places like Bath Spa), with the intention of attracting tourists especially English ones, the towns then increasingly adopted this, only for the railway to drop it in relatively recent years. This is only a hypothesis though.

The oddity is that only Llandrindod is really a resort - the other two are much less developed; which is why I find it surprising Llandrindod doesn’t have it on the station signs but the other two do!
 

507020

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2021
Messages
1,983
Location
Southport
The station at Heysham isn’t sure if it’s Heysham Port or Heysham Harbour. I believe the current station should be Heysham Port and that Heysham Harbour was a previous one, but the name Heysham Harbour is still used in some places.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
There’s a whole bundle of them in Ireland.

Dublin Connolly, Dublin Pearse and Dublin Heuston are always named as such but the rest are only occasionally used. The last one, Limerick Colbert is an odd one as back in my baby GM bashing days I often heard announcements at the Junction that the shuttle was bound for Limerick City.

Galway Ceannt
Cork Kent
Sligo Mac Diarmada
Dundalk Clarke
Drogheda MacBride
Waterford Plunkett
Tralee Casement
Limerick Colbert
 

janb

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2008
Messages
835
The station at Heysham isn’t sure if it’s Heysham Port or Heysham Harbour. I believe the current station should be Heysham Port and that Heysham Harbour was a previous one, but the name Heysham Harbour is still used in some places.

Yep was going to mention that. It's been Heysham Port since 1992, but I've seen it as Heysham Harbour on the CIS at Lancaster (at least when Virgin were in charge).
 

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2011
Messages
1,825
When I last visited Nelson in 2015, it had name boards on its platforms variously proclaiming it to be "Nelson", "Nelson Interchange" and "Nelson Station".
 

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
1,671
Location
Oxford/Newcastle
Perhaps the newest station to have some confusion over its name is Horden. It may have been fixed by now but I recall some of the automated systems of Northern trains still listed it as "Horden (Peterlee)" or "Horden Peterlee".

It would probably be a more sensible name - Peterlee being much bigger, and a bit more well known, than Horden. However, there may be other considerations here. One of the station's main aims was to regenerate Horden, which is a particularly hard-up community, even by local standards. The County Council may have pushed for it to have sole billing in the name to emphasise this point.
 

FFB6C1

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2018
Messages
12
Location
West Yorkshire
I’ve often heard Haymarket station announced as “Edinburgh Haymarket” and it appears on the boards at Kings Cross as such (although abbreviated); although station signs, National Rail website, and the ticketing system has it as just plain Haymarket.

Conversely, the main station in Edinburgh is just called “Edinburgh” according to National Rail and on tickets, but signs at the station and manual announcements often call it “Edinburgh Waverley.”

In this case, I guess the distinction is rather important in that there is Edinburgh Waverley, Edinburgh Haymarket and then either Edinburgh Park or Edinburgh Gateway depending on the line you are on.
 

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
3,000
Location
Cambridge
HUL

Officially Hull
Initially Hull Paragon Street
Then Hull Paragon
Officially Hull since the dawn of British Railways
Paragon Interchange since redevelopment (though officially still Hull)
Colloquially still "Paragon" or Paragon Station or Hull Station or the station

And technically the town isn't even called Hull... as the full postal address even on the National Rail website reveals:

Hull (HUL), Hull Paragon station, Ferensway, Kingston-Upon-Hull.

So I think we have an identity crisis winner :lol:
 
Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,519
Location
Northern England
I'm surprised this post managed several threads earlier about Southampton Central without talking about the other station named after Southampton.

Officially I believe it's Southampton Airport Parkway, but the displays on trains seem to call it Southampton Airport (Parkway). At Chandler's Ford (or is it Chandlers Ford? that's another discussion in and of itself) there is signage which refers to it simply as Parkway, and I believe in the past it's been called Southampton Parkway for Southampton Airport.
 

THC

Member
Joined
21 Sep 2009
Messages
727
Location
Stuck on the GEML
There’s a whole bundle of them in Ireland.

Dublin Connolly, Dublin Pearse and Dublin Heuston are always named as such but the rest are only occasionally used. The last one, Limerick Colbert is an odd one as back in my baby GM bashing days I often heard announcements at the Junction that the shuttle was bound for Limerick City.

Galway Ceannt
Cork Kent
Sligo Mac Diarmada
Dundalk Clarke
Drogheda MacBride
Waterford Plunkett
Tralee Casement
Limerick Colbert
Indeed - I visit Cork city often and taxi drivers still refer to Glanmire Road station, although Cork Kent is also used quite widely.

Kilkenny station was named for Thomas MacDonagh in 1966. While his name may not be used often in that context, it has been picked up by the neighbouring shopping mall, which is called MacDonagh Junction.

THC
 

24Grange

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2021
Messages
237
Location
Baldock
I'm assuming a lot of stations changed names, when other stations in the towns and cities closed ( I'm looking at you Dr B.)

Plymouth North Road, became just Plymouth when the SR Station closed. Tavistock North & Tavistock South - both closed now, but did Tavistock North revert to just Tavistock after South closed - or didn't they bother ? Five years between. Sidmouth Junction seems to have had a personality disorder changing names several times from variations of Sidmouth Junction to Feniton.
 

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
3,000
Location
Cambridge
Canterbury East and Canterbury West were both originally called Canterbury, and would be better described as South and North...as East is only about 100m east of West and West is about 1000m north of East!
 

24Grange

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2021
Messages
237
Location
Baldock
Yes , I always thought that was funny - used West a lot 18 months ago, and East for diversions 9 East was nearer work
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,332
Edinburgh Waverley has to be the ultimate. Even rail signage refers to it universally as Waverley. It is something that you get with unique station names. Temple Meads is a similar though not quite so pronounced case in Bristol. They both spill over to the name of the surrounding district. You need to get to over about 100 miles away before it's Bristol T M or Edinburgh Waverley, in fact anywhere in Scotland for the latter. This same applied in Bristol before Parkway was even built.
 
Last edited:

southern442

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
2,266
Location
Surrey
As a part-time Southampton resident, Southampton Central is usually referred to as 'central station' or just 'the station', and Southampton Airport (Parkway) is referred to as 'Parkway station', or 'Airport Parkway'.

Bristol is an odd one as they only have the one main station, but everyone from there I've met insists on calling it 'Temple Meads' rather than 'the station' or what have you.

Adding to a previous conversation, growing up I always thought 'St Albans City' was an old name for the station, as all the signage, maps and announcements all just said 'St Albans'. Then a new automated announcer installation at East Croydon (Amey's 'Only Woman' for those interested) started saying 'St. Albans City' again, it started appearing on maps like that, now the newer Atos announcements say St. Albans City, it's now back on maps and now the on-train information in the 700's also refer to it this way. So in my eyes it has made somewhat of a comeback.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
"Royal" Leamington Spa (main station for Warwick) is one of my favourites.

I think traditional, longer names are often good, for example for people who knew the place and return after many years away.
Pretty much no one refers to the town or station as Royal Leamington Spa, for the station all rail signage and announcements are "Leamington Spa" and locals generally just shorten it to Leamington station
 

fat_boy_pete

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2015
Messages
385
Location
Essex
The junction name on the roundabout signs outside the station is "North Station" but the exit for the station is signed as "Colchester Station"
It's actually North Station roundabout at the end of North Station Road. Weirdly, I can find no evidence of the station ever being officially called anything in it's 175 year history except Colchester. Even more weirdly until 1991 ( when st. Boltophs was renamed Colchester Town), it was the only one of 3 stations in the town with Colchester in it's title, the third being called simply Hythe. But the NLS map from 1888, shows that the road from the town was called North Station Road then.

So why North station? Presumably it just arose from local usage when the other 2 stations opened in the 1860's.
 

southern442

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
2,266
Location
Surrey
Another one is the two London Road's. The Brighton one is announced on trains at London Road (Brighton), yet all the station signs simply just show London Road, and the Guildford one is announced (on SWR at least) as just London Road, but all the station signs show it as London Road (Guildford)!
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,339
Edinburgh Waverley has to be the ultimate. Even rail signage refers to it universally as Waverley. It is something that you get with unique station names. Temple Meads is a similar though not quite so pronounced case in Bristol. They both spill over to the name of the surrounding district. You need to get to over about 100 miles away before it's Bristol T M or Edinburgh Waverley, in fact anywhere in Scotland for the latter. This same applied in Bristol before Parkway was even built.
Other way round in Bristol. The station was built in the fields (meadows, meads) in Temple parish.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Bristol is an odd one as they only have the one main station, but everyone from there I've met insists on calling it 'Temple Meads' rather than 'the station' or what have you.
Probably because there are multiple railway stations in the urban area, and Parkway station is quite well used by those in the city, even those fairly close (geographically) to Temple Meads due to the ease of access, and in the instance of trains to London, quicker service.

As an aside when I lived in Bristol someone did once get on a bus I was on & someone clearly not local asked the driver if they went “to the station,” and the driver replied with words to the effect of “which one, I go past 4?”
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
There are no fewer than 19 stations in the Bristol area with more to come, though technically some are in S Glos. If I were to say I was going down the station for a while, it would be because I was going down to Lawrence Hill (been my local station for many years despite several home moves). Hence I would always say that I was going down TM if I was off to Temple Meads.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top