steamybrian
Established Member
Under the temporary stations category you could include RAF Finingley Station on the Joint line, a few miles south east of Doncaster.
A scaffolding and wood construction was built by BR to cater for the Battle of Britain Air Shows each September. As far as I recall it was removed after the Air Show and re-built the following year. It was a good ten to fifteen minutes walk down the lane to the Base. A DMU shuttle operated from Doncaster (platform 2, never used for any regular services) and was very popular. It certainly operated in the 1970s, 80s, but I can't find any references to it online. The Air Show ended in the early 90s I think with the end of the Cold War. Bus services would not have been able to cope as, even 40 years ago, road congestion was massive!
Under temporary stations you can include the many built by BR for depot open days to permit passenger shuttle services to and from the nearest main station.
In the past I used such temporary stations erected at..
Old Oak Common - for shuttle from Paddington
Chart Leacon- for shuttle from Ashford
Coalville- for shuttles from Leicester and Derby