• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations far away from the towns they serve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,103
Location
At home or at the pub
Hooton station is a fair distance from the main area it is supposed to serve as the station is on the B5133 between Willaston and Hooton. How do I know, I have been there within the last two weeks and walked the walk:roll:

Ha do remember a band called Hooton three car? I'm sure I have the single, as championed by Peel. He even had a H3C teeshirt...phew

Ha what about Peter Hooton lead singer from the band The Farm.


Hooton station is a good 2 miles from the Village & down a Country Lane as well.

Heswall Station is a couple of miles from the Town Centre, a 30 min walk at best, & Upton[Merseyside] is a good 20 min walk to Upton Village
 

exile

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
1,342
Actually Heswall (bus station, which is more or less in the centre) to Heswall (rail station) is 1.3 miles.
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
I'm glad no-one has retold the corny old story of the woman complaining to the porter that they should have built the station nearer the town, and his replying that they thought it better to build it nearer the railway.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
Some parts of the east midlands are a fair way from east midlands parkway.
 

cle

Established Member
Joined
17 Nov 2010
Messages
5,657
I'm glad no-one has retold the corny old story of the woman complaining to the porter that they should have built the station nearer the town, and his replying that they thought it better to build it nearer the railway.

Oh, well now someone has. ;)
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
Alnmouth is an excellent contender for this thread. You could argue that its called 'Alnmouth for Alnwick' with good reason, because it is actually the bigger Alnmouth that is served by the station and not little Alnmouth.

Its way far too far to walk from Lesbury (where the station is) to Alnwick and there's no pavements on those narrow country lanes anyway. It's nearly 3 miles. It wouldn't be much fun walking from Lesbury to Alnmouth in the dark either, but I'm sure the pavement is continuous and that's probs just under a mile.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top