bus man
Member
- Joined
- 21 Oct 2010
- Messages
- 155
Sorry if this as been on but dent on settle - carlisle line is 4 miles from the station
Sorry if this as been on but dent on settle - carlisle line is 4 miles from the station
Both Crewe and Nantwich stations are around 1 mile south of their respective town centres.
Tiverton parkway?
What does "Parkway" mean, in the context of station names? It crops up all over the place.
An out of town site with massive car parks (usually upwards of 200 spaces) for commuters to park at and get on a train to their destination. Didcot is trying to get a name change as it is actually in the town centre, not in the middle of a field as the name implies!
Well, Bearsted, just outside Maidstone, where I used to live, the station is right on the NE edge of the village (Bearsted is a LARGE village).
Long Eaton station is really in Sawley and a 15-20 minute walk to the town centre.
I disagree about Crewe, I would say that the station is fairly central to the town centre. As for Nantwich station, it's even nearer to the centre than Crewe station is! Check your maps
I disagree about Crewe, I would say that the station is fairly central to the town centre. As for Nantwich station, it's even nearer to the centre than Crewe station is! Check your maps
Nantwich is a bit more than 1/2 mile.
I have checked my map. It says that Crewe station to town centre is 0.87 miles (admittedly the road distance, but the direct route goes straight over the former North Junction box, and even that can't but much less than 0.75 miles).
Do you know whereabouts in Crewe the town centre is ? From the station looking north west, you can see a clock tower in the distance - THAT is the town centre..
There are those who claim that Bearsted Green is the centre of Bearsted and that Ashford Road and Egremont Road (a shopping area to the south of Ashford Road which for years was the site of the village's only supermarket) on the Madginford estate is not part of Bearsted despite there being several businesses on each road (or very close to it) having "Bearsted" in its title, the signs for Ashford Road/Roundwell junction (when approaching it from the east) has Bearsted as straight on and right for Bearsted Green (which is the same road to the station), every address on the Madginford estate being officially "Bearsted, Maidstone" and every bus company using Ashford Road refers to timing points there as being in Bearsted - this including one called Spot Hire, supposedly offering an hourly connecting bus service to Leeds Castle (actually running between 3 and 5 a day for eight months of the year) that is better than an infrequent one from Hollingbourne (actually the closest) that also runs 5 a day all year round.
Also, it is a fair trek to Thurnham (which the station once claimed to also serve). Officially this up to May 1980, but station signs had continued to be "Bearsted & Thurnham" for several years
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-580000-156000/page/1)
Just to confirm that Bearsted Green is the centre of the village and is close to the station,
What method are you using a piece of string or making marks on the side of a piece of scrap paper? .
A town centre is never a single point - it's usually at least three different streets. Are you saying that someone visiting Crewe town centre would walk to the clock tower, turn around and go home? If not why are you obsessed about it being that exact point? .
Oh great, Wikipedia, that highly reliable source...![]()
I think this was mentioned briefly before.
Sandwell is the name for an administrative area comprising of West Bromwich,Cradley Heath, Rowley Regis Smethwick, Tipton, Oldbury etc -look on the list of deprived areas in any list it's always near the Top.
The actual station is in Oldbury.
It is miles from Dudley Town Centre.
Dudley must be one of the biggest towns in the UK that hasn't got a Railway Station anywhere near the town itself. I'm talking Dudley not Dudley Metropolitan Borough.
I think the cost of the Station must have been shared by DMBC and SMBC hence the name - it is on the mainline with Virgin Services to and from London Euston.
Neither station in Marple is really central and I think it's similar with New Mills.
I don't think the town of Dudley (pop approx 200k?) has a railway station within its limits at all, though given the somewhat confusing nature of regional borders within the West Midlands I think it is difficult to define exactly what is within Dudley and what isnt these days. I guess that is what happens when towns which were once very much separate places merge into each other over time.
There are only four stations within the entire borough according to this map though, Stourbridge Town, Stourbridge Junction and Lye on the Snow Hill lines (and the three of those stations are practically within walking distance of each other!) and Coseley on the Cov-Wolves stretch of the WCML. There are a ton of stations right on the border with Sandwell though. Dudley town centre is undoubtedly under served by the railway, but the people who live in the residential areas of Dudley are almost spoiled for choice as to which station they can use. Strange situation, but it always sounds worse when you first hear it than it actually is when you look into it. (Unless you want to travel into central Dudley of course!)
Shippea Hill is a weird one, as there was no settlement of that name, and no hill as it lies in the middle of the fens. The motley collection of houses around the station is referred to "Shippea Hill station" by some maps.
If we move off National Rail, then how about gateshead Stadium on the Tyne and Wear Metro? It's a good 15 minutes walk from the stadium it's designed to serve. In fact, when the station was being built in 1981, original plans were to call the station Old Ford, after the housing scheme next to the station. Only at the last minute did the plans change, and they adopt the name it's had ever since.
I think Welshpool station is a long way away from Welshpool town centre - it is out on the bypass.
I don't know for Central, but I know that Newtown serves exactly where it says it serves
I posted in reply to Videoz, not you. Didn't notice your post until I'd posted. The point about the clock tower is that it can be seen easily from the station, so anyone who only goes to the station can get a visual idea of how far away the town centre is. Agree with you that the town centre isn't usually an exact point.
For some reason Bedford St Johns has sprung to mind - I seem to recall thinking on a visit a couple of years ago that would have been similarly 'forgotten' before that line's service was extended to Bedford (Midland).
jcollins: Either way, the distance to Crewe centre from the station is not extortionate in comparison to some of the other places mentioned on this thread.
Nantwich station is as near as you're gonna get for proximity to town centre.