• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Roster Coordinator Shift Pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
10 Apr 2024
Messages
10
Location
Bedford
Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before but couldn’t see anything similar posted. I have applied for a role as a Station Roster Coordinator which has shift patterns involved, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of shift pattern the role follows? It’s for West Mids trains, thank you for any help!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before but couldn’t see anything similar posted. I have applied for a role as a Station Roster Coordinator which has shift patterns involved, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of shift pattern the role follows? It’s for West Mids trains, thank you for any help!

I am surprised such a role has shift patterns involved - I would presume it was a 9-5, M-F role where you are managing rosters for station colleagues that do work shifts. Have you been told otherwise?
 
Joined
10 Apr 2024
Messages
10
Location
Bedford
That’s what I assumed originally but scrolling down the advert it says:

This role will play a crucial part in ensuring we deliver a safe and reliable train service for our customers and therefore has an early, late and night shift pattern, including weekends.

I’m also not sure if that’s a generic sentence they’ve added it but definitely has me wondering!
I am surprised such a role has shift patterns involved - I would presume it was a 9-5, M-F role where you are managing rosters for station colleagues that do work shifts. Have you been told otherwise?
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
Do you have the full advert details? Might shine some light on the situation!

Or someone who is aware of the role at WMR can assist with the query.
 

insomnimax

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2024
Messages
5
Location
Manchester
Don’t work at west mids but I work in my TOC’s resourcing team

I’m guessing the reason for the shifts is because the role will also involve providing a degree of on-the-day/live support for frontline colleagues. Things like making sure everyone has booked on and working with the station team leaders to keep track of who isn’t in work (due to sickness etc) and whose turns need to be covered last minute. Also manning the phones so people can phone up and ask about leave, swapping shifts, etc.

The people in my team who work in station resources do both roster planning and on-the-day support, even though their job titles suggest that they just do planning. So they do work shifts (although I don’t think they do nights).

A rostering job having shift patterns doesn’t strike me as unusual, most roles in resourcing departments will be shift based (although not all will involve nights) as even though they may have job titles that suggest they just do planning, the actual job may involve providing a degree of operational/real time support.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
Don’t work at west mids but I work in my TOC’s resourcing team

I’m guessing the reason for the shifts is because the role will also involve providing a degree of on-the-day/live support for frontline colleagues. Things like making sure everyone has booked on and working with the station team leaders to keep track of who isn’t in work (due to sickness etc) and whose turns need to be covered last minute. Also manning the phones so people can phone up and ask about leave, swapping shifts, etc.

The people in my team who work in station resources do both roster planning and on-the-day support, even though their job titles suggest that they just do planning. So they do work shifts (although I don’t think they do nights).

A rostering job having shift patterns doesn’t strike me as unusual, most roles in resourcing departments will be shift based (although not all will involve nights) as even though they may have job titles that suggest they just do planning, the actual job may involve providing a degree of operational/real time support.

Yes it does depend, but I suppose without seeing the JD, it is difficult to know. There are lots of "roster coordinator" roles out there who work 9-5 and I would say and what of what you state isn't urgent or is managed by managers on duty. But you may be correct in terms of being similar to a "resource manager" that many TOCs have who do work more regularly but they tend to sit within control roles
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top