• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starting the journey short with an off-peak period return

Joined
12 Nov 2025
Messages
146
Location
Cranleigh
I need to get from Oxford to Kenilworth and then back a few days later; and I would like to use off-peak period return for this, the cost is 25.40. For return part, the off-peak ticket is not valid before 9:30am. Kenilworth has only one train per hour, which goes in Leamington direction at 7 minutes past the hour. Thus the first train I can catch from Kenilworth would be 10:07; and therefore I cannot get back to Oxford until after 11am which is too late for me.

The question is: can I get myself from Kenilworth to Leamington by other means (e.g. bus) and then take 09:41 from Leamington?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tumbledown

Member
Joined
5 Nov 2024
Messages
287
Location
UK
This situation was recently discussed:
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,658
Location
Merseyside
I need to get from Oxford to Kenilworth and then back a few days later; and I would like to use off-peak period return for this, the cost is 25.40. For return part, the off-peak ticket is not valid before 9:30am. Kenilworth has only one train per hour, which goes in Leamington direction at 7 minutes past the hour. Thus the first train I can catch from Kenilworth would be 10:07; and therefore I cannot get back to Oxford until after 11am which is too late for me.

The question is: can I get myself from Kenilworth to Leamington by other means (e.g. bus) and then take 09:41 from Leamington?
The answer to your question is yes you can.
 

The Ham

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Jul 2012
Messages
12,050
how much is a single from Kenilworth to Leamington?

£3.60, so if you wanted to be sure you could just buy that ticket and present it to the guard (regardless of where they ask you for your ticket) and then present the other ticket for the rest of your journey, no need to catch the bus for not much more than the cost of the bus (unless they have free bus travel).

Alternatively, make sure you've got a photo of you with the departure board at Leamington Spa before the train arrives and try and get a photo of the front of the train on the approach to Leamington (so it's obvious where it is) so you can see the unit number so there's no doubt that you boarded at that station.
 
Joined
12 Nov 2025
Messages
146
Location
Cranleigh
Alternatively, make sure you've got a photo of you with the departure board at Leamington Spa before the train arrives and try and get a photo of the front of the train on the approach to Leamington (so it's obvious where it is) so you can see the unit number so there's no doubt that you boarded at that station.
I am not sure how taking a picture of me with the departure boards at Leamington station is likely to help, because one has to change at Leamington (it is the terminus for Nuneaton - Leamington WMR trains, that serve Kenilworth) regardless and take an XC train to Reading from there.
 

blimmo

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2025
Messages
673
Location
West Mids
Take a picture outside the barriers? Regardless the only penalty for travelling at the wrong time is an excess to the anytime fare (which you can probably get refunded later) so I wouldn't worry too much.
 

JBuchananGB

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2017
Messages
1,405
Location
Southport
As already advised. The answer to the original question is yes. It might not suit the OP to depart Kenilworth by train at 09.07 then wait 25 minutes at Leamington Spa. There may be a convenient bus which will get to Leamington Spa nearer to the time of the train to Oxford. The question of what time he boarded the train at Leamington offers no room for doubt because that train did not call at Kenilworth.
 

The Ham

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Jul 2012
Messages
12,050
I am not sure how taking a picture of me with the departure boards at Leamington station is likely to help, because one has to change at Leamington (it is the terminus for Nuneaton - Leamington WMR trains, that serve Kenilworth) regardless and take an XC train to Reading from there.

Ah, hasn't spotted that, the other thing then is find the guard onthetrain or a member of gate line staff to punch the single ticket.

By doing so it confirms that was the ticket used to get to Leamington Spa.

The photo obviously is only useful if the train is passing along calling at the relevant stations.
 

Top