• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stansted-Thameslink Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rethink

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2022
Messages
5
Location
London
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to London. I'm wondering if the idea of connecting Thameslink into the GOBLIN line has been considered and if so, connecting from there to Stansted. The engineering for track connections and platform extensions looks pretty straight forward. Would the issue be the passenger capacity on the GOBLIN lines?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to London. I'm wondering if the idea of connecting Thameslink into the GOBLIN line has been considered and if so, connecting from there to Stansted. The engineering for track connections and platform extensions looks pretty straight forward. Would the issue be the passenger capacity on the GOBLIN lines?
IIRC all the existing curves face the wrong way and there would be capacity problems.
 

rethink

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2022
Messages
5
Location
London
Yeah. I saw the Kentish town connection needs to be restored. The connection to the West Anglia line seems straight forward.

But where are the capacity constraints?
 

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,419
Location
The Fens
The Lea Valley between Tottenham and Cheshunt is already full in the peaks, with Hertford East trains having to go via Southbury.

And there are capacity issues at Stansted Airport: it only has 3 platforms and the tunnel under the runway is single track.
 

rethink

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2022
Messages
5
Location
London
It would likely have to replace existing service into Liverpool Street. But what about GOBLIN capacity?
 

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,786
Yeah. I saw the Kentish town connection needs to be restored. The connection to the West Anglia line seems straight forward.

But where are the capacity constraints?
Only the west to south curve is in place for the West Anglia line. Putting in two at grade connections would create problems on all the lines concerned including the Goblin

Remember that the GOBLIN line is also the primary route for freight from North Thamesside
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,639
Location
Northampton
There's also the question of where it goes at the south end. Adding another route to the mix is going to send punctuality even further down. Sending more trains through London Bridge or Tulse Hill isn't going to help matters with South Eastern or Southern.
 

Alfie1014

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2012
Messages
1,205
Location
Essex
Stansted services were in the original NSE commercial timetable specification for Thameslink 2000 developed in the early 1990s, I know because I designed the timetable. Somewhere unless it’s got lost in a house move I’ve got draft copies of the timetables. South of the river I think Horsham was the intended destination? How it was to access the WAML I can’t quite remember though chords on and off the GOBLin again ring bells and of course that route at the time was somewhat a backwater with just 2 tph, not yet electrified and the Stansted Express was also still only half hourly. I think there was a vague desire at the time to link all London airports through Farringdon by both Crossrail and Thameslink.
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,920
A nice idea, but wouldn’t work. As others have said, you’d need to construct curves at both end. If it was just reopening rusty track or something then fair, but there’s so much to do for minimum gain. The WAML lines seem earmarked for Crossrail 2, so that’ll be their future project.

To get some use for the Goblin to MML connection I’d love to see the line taken through West Hampstead and up to join the Dudding Hill line and then down to Kew East Junction and run it down to Hounslow (or go left at Kew East to run to Clapham Junction connection the circle nature again!). Though I do appreciate you’d need a flyover/dive under to go under/over the MML and bay platforms at Hounslow or Clapham. Still, nice idea.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Stansted services were in the original NSE commercial timetable specification for Thameslink 2000 developed in the early 1990s, I know because I designed the timetable. Somewhere unless it’s got lost in a house move I’ve got draft copies of the timetables. South of the river I think Horsham was the intended destination? How it was to access the WAML I can’t quite remember though chords on and off the GOBLin again ring bells and of course that route at the time was somewhat a backwater with just 2 tph, not yet electrified and the Stansted Express was also still only half hourly. I think there was a vague desire at the time to link all London airports through Farringdon by both Crossrail and Thameslink.
I think in a previous iteration of this sort of question a South to East link between the ECML and the Goblin north of Finsbury Park was mentioned. (Or it might have been in a discussion about Copenhagen tunnels and Maplin Sands?)

I think most replies thought such a link would be impossible nowadays, there’d be too much demolition required.
 

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,774
Even ignoring the engineering issues, it would be painfully slow. Liverpool St isn't exactly poorly connected, and the change at Tottenham Hale makes the west end easier to access than via Thameslink
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,023
Stansted would be better linked to Crossrail2 if it happens.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,948
As @Alfie1014 says this was considered about 35 years ago, in the context of Stansted becoming another Heathrow. But fairly quickly dismissed.

there is absolutely no point in doing to now.

Firstly, it needs much new infrastructure to make it work (at Kentish Town or Holloway, and south of Tottenham) all of which requires significant demolition.

secondly - the journey time to St Pancras would be longer than to Liverpool St. So what would be the point?

thirdly, the Thameslink core and WAML are both at, or close to capacity, and therefore putting extra services on them means removing existing (and busy) services

fourthly, whilst the Gospel Oak - Barking line isn’t at capacity, it’s not far off in some hours, and any additional trains along it would effectively have to operate at the speed / times of the stopping passenger service

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Stansted would be better linked to Crossrail2 if it happens.

Crossrail 2 would never go to Stansted - absolutely pointless. It would take about half an hour longer than the Stansted express.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top