Some good comments there to add to the debate. I always try and think of the journey as part of the holiday, which probably helps, but I doubt I would consider taking two months to get to Australia unless I was emigrating!
when will people realise that flying is getting much more expensive
You're not alone in your thinking. I've noticed this, too. For instance, the BA September seat sale offers a New York City return for £354. About 5 years ago, it was nearer £200. Now you have to pay to choose your seat on top of that.
This summer, I went, by train London->Brussels->Frankfurt->Marburg. Total return fare was £140. If I had travelled by plane, the non flying element of the trip would have cost £20 to Stansted and another £20 odd from Frankfurt Hahn to Maburg. For my train trip, I packed as much as I could carry. That same luggage would have been £30 with Ryanair. So my trip by plane has already cost me £70. And that's before I've even booked my flight.
On top of that, my £140 train ticket allowed to do things I wanted: visit Cologne and Aachen. The fly would only given a there-and-back option.
When oil is getting more expensive and scarce, I am sure Governments will step in to control aviation. Given long-haul is still only really 'doable' by plane, I can see the short-haul flights not only getting expensive but possibly even being banned.
That's my way of thinking too. There will, eventaully, have to be some sort of ration control on aviation fuel, and long haul intercontintal flights will have to be prioritised.
I can see that the reality will be that flying will return to something for the rich, but I would HOPE that we'll see the need to fly all over the world to attend meetings and conferences end - and flying can perhaps being prioritised more for leisure travel.
Quite possible with video-conferencing and recent advances with the mobile internet. Wind that on twenty years to make everything lighter and screens bigger, and international meetings will be very rare things. Conferences might continue to happen, but that's less likely.
I hope you're right, but people were saying this a decade ago and air travel still went up and up