Some good points raised. Margate Pride would have impacted this, though I have experienced similar issues when there haven’t been major events on.Margate Pride rather disrupted Thanet's bus services today, with several road closures (some of which were implemented rather earlier than agreed). The open top 69 was running with delays of almost an hour at one point.
On the subject of dual door buses, an awful lot of infrastructure would have to be altered to accommodate the second door at Thanet's bus stops. More pertinently, it not only loses seats on board, but would also squeeze the space available for pushchairs. It's not uncommon for The Loop to have three on board simultaneously. Better really to try and tackle reliability, so that buses don't become so crowded in the first place.
I disagree with the topic of double doors though. The Loop is almost London-like with the frequent stops and movement of passengers. It’s incredibly awkward getting passengers on/off with a single door on such routes. While the bus infrastructure is rather poor in Thanet, as is frustratingly typical in the UK, there are many stops which would be fine with double doors.
(Though I do get the point about pushchairs though, the double door arrangement is more awkward for them)
I’ve been on various busy routes on the continent with standing loads only, and I find it’s much less stressful having double doors rather than the single door arrangement. There is better space for standing passengers.
I really don’t understand why more effort can’t be made in improving bus infrastructure, especially for high profile routes such as the Loop. They do it on the continent, and even other parts of the UK. I don’t hold much hope with KCC improving public transport though.
Last edited: