• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach 3X Bus Route From Central Bristol to Aztec West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Hello

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post this here but I’m doing so as a last resort.

I am visually impaired. I sometimes need to catch the above bus route to get to The Aztec Centre at Aztec West from Union Street in Central Bristol.

I have been told I should ask the driver to tell me when I get to Park Avenue so I can get off or listen for the audio to say Park Avenue if it is working.

The problem is I’ve now been informed there are 3 stops on Park Avenue and I don’t know which I need for The Aztec Centre.

Unfortunately getting off at the wrong stop previously has led to me on several occasions wondering around lost in Aztec West business park which is not very safe for me given my limited vision.

I really appreciate any help anyone can give.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,998
There are three stops in Aztec West.

The first one coming from Bristol is Park Avenue (westbound), then Waterside Drive, then Park Avenue (eastbound). It would probably be best to clarify with whoever you're visiting which is the best one to get off at. Or perhaps someone here with detailed local knowledge can help?

Does your visual impairment allow you to use a smartphone to follow the progress of your bus on a map? That might help too.


Incidentally, Aztec West is only about 10 mins bus ride (or an affordable taxi?) from Bristol Parkway station.
 
Last edited:

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
There are three stops in Aztec West.

The first one coming from Bristol is Park Avenue (westbound), then Waterside Drive, then Park Avenue (eastbound). It would probably be best to clarify with whoever you're visiting which is the best one to get off at. Or perhaps someone here with detailed local knowledge can help?

Does your visual impairment allow you to use a smartphone to follow the progress of your bus on a map? That might help too.


Incidentally, Aztec West is only about 10 mins bus ride (or an affordable taxi?) from Bristol Parkway station.

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried to check with the person I’m visiting. They hire a room to work at the Aztec Centre but drive and do not live in the area so are not familiar with the buses. They don’t know the answer.

I’m aware that Bristol Parkway is not far away but I assume I would have the same issue coming from that direction by bus too. I don’t really want to get a taxi as I can get on the buses free after 9:30am with my Concessionary Bus Pass.

The level of my vision means I am unable to use maps to track buses.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,181
Location
Elginshire
I don’t know if I’m allowed to post this here but I’m doing so as a last resort.
Hi Kath, and welcome to the forum. First and foremost, we have absolutely no issues with you posting such a query here; it's perfectly reasonable to ask questions if you're travelling to an unfamiliar area and require some advice.

I have been told I should ask the driver to tell me when I get to Park Avenue so I can get off or listen for the audio to say Park Avenue if it is working.
I'm not personally familiar with the area and cannot offer specific advice about the route; nor do I know what equipment the buses carry with regard to announcements, etc. However, I'd certainly make a point of letting the driver know when you board.
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,998
Thanks for your reply. I have already tried to check with the person I’m visiting. They hire a room to work at the Aztec Centre but drive and do not live in the area so are not familiar with the buses. They don’t know the answer.

I’m aware that Bristol Parkway is not far away but I assume I would have the same issue coming from that direction by bus too. I don’t really want to get a taxi as I can get on the buses free after 9:30am with my Concessionary Bus Pass.

The level of my vision means I am unable to use maps to track buses.
I'm afraid I haven't any further advice to offer.

Personally, if I knew of your visual impairment, I'd have offered to pick you up at Parkway station or Patchway which is even closer. Or at least to find the nearest bus stop on foot, meet you there and walk back together.
 

Stompehh

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
182
Please note that this bus will be renumbered the 71 from 1st September 2024.

The Aztec Centre is right in the middle of the two "Park Avenue" stops, one called westbound then the second called eastbound. The bus does an anticlockwise loop of the Aztec West area, called at Park Avenue Westbound, then Waterside Drive, then Park Avenue Eastbound.

The easiest stop to get off at would be Park Avenue Eastbound, as this is closest to the main entrance of the Aztec Centre, so you would wait for the 3rd stop in the Aztec West area. The Stagecoach buses normally have working audio information, but I'm not sure if they differentiate between the Eastbound and Westbound stops. You could ask the driver for the 3rd Aztec West stop.

When you step off the bus, turn right and walk for approximately 40m, then turn left into the side road. The Aztec Centre is then straight ahead, about 100m away.
 

lachlan

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2019
Messages
1,171
Please note that this bus will be renumbered the 71 from 1st September 2024.

The Aztec Centre is right in the middle of the two "Park Avenue" stops, one called westbound then the second called eastbound. The bus does an anticlockwise loop of the Aztec West area, called at Park Avenue Westbound, then Waterside Drive, then Park Avenue Eastbound.

The easiest stop to get off at would be Park Avenue Eastbound, as this is closest to the main entrance of the Aztec Centre, so you would wait for the 3rd stop in the Aztec West area. The Stagecoach buses normally have working audio information, but I'm not sure if they differentiate between the Eastbound and Westbound stops. You could ask the driver for the 3rd Aztec West stop.

When you step off the bus, turn right and walk for approximately 40m, then turn left into the side road. The Aztec Centre is then straight ahead, about 100m away.
I was going to say get off at the first stop but looking at Google Earth either the first or third are close to Aztec Centre.

On a general note, take a look at the T1 and m1 as these are quicker, but do involve more walking. If you're able to cross roads or your colleague can walk with you, these may be a better option.
 

Kath123

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jul 2024
Messages
240
Location
Somerset, UK
Hi Kath, and welcome to the forum. First and foremost, we have absolutely no issues with you posting such a query here; it's perfectly reasonable to ask questions if you're travelling to an unfamiliar area and require some advice.


I'm not personally familiar with the area and cannot offer specific advice about the route; nor do I know what equipment the buses carry with regard to announcements, etc. However, I'd certainly make a point of letting the driver know when you board.
Hi Gus thank you very much for your welcome and re-assurance that it was ok to post this here. Much appreciated.

I do always let the driver know where I’m trying to get to when I board but often they don’t know where the Aztec Centre is and because I didn’t know until recently there are 3 stops on Park Avenue or which I want they have understandably just been dropping me at any of the stops on that road.
Please note that this bus will be renumbered the 71 from 1st September 2024.

The Aztec Centre is right in the middle of the two "Park Avenue" stops, one called westbound then the second called eastbound. The bus does an anticlockwise loop of the Aztec West area, called at Park Avenue Westbound, then Waterside Drive, then Park Avenue Eastbound.

The easiest stop to get off at would be Park Avenue Eastbound, as this is closest to the main entrance of the Aztec Centre, so you would wait for the 3rd stop in the Aztec West area. The Stagecoach buses normally have working audio information, but I'm not sure if they differentiate between the Eastbound and Westbound stops. You could ask the driver for the 3rd Aztec West stop.

When you step off the bus, turn right and walk for approximately 40m, then turn left into the side road. The Aztec Centre is then straight ahead, about 100m away.
Thank you so much for your post. This contains exactly the information that I came here to try and get. How you describe I would need to walk from the bus stop to the Aztec Centre tallys with how I walk in reverse after I exit the Aztec Centre to get to the stop after visiting so I’m fairly certain you have the right stop thank you. I will try it Wednesday morning.

Thank you for letting me know this bus will be the 71 from September. Do you know whether it will still stop at the same stops it is currently allocated to on Union Street and at Temple Meads or will it possibly go from a different stop at these locations? I’m asking because I know a while ago that some of the First buses reshuffled where they stop on Union Street and this caused me quite a bit of confusion in light of my visual impairment as I can’t read the information displayed at stops.
I was going to say get off at the first stop but looking at Google Earth either the first or third are close to Aztec Centre.

On a general note, take a look at the T1 and m1 as these are quicker, but do involve more walking. If you're able to cross roads or your colleague can walk with you, these may be a better option.
Thank you for this. I may well explore the other bus numbers in due course but as they stop further away from the Aztec Centre I feel that until I have more confidence navigating the immediate area I should stick to using the 3X route.

Whether I can cross roads and how safely I can do this tends to depend on how busy they are/whether there are crossings or whether there are likely to be members of the public around who may offer to tell me when the road is clear.

Sorry if I’ve confused people - I’m not a colleague of the person I’m visiting. They run their company from the Aztec Centre and I visit them as a Customer/Client.




Thanks to everyone very much for all the input here. I really appreciate it.
 

Stompehh

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
182
Hi Kath,

I just checked and the stop allocation at both Temple Meads and Union Street is the same when the number changes. Hope that helps!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top