• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staffing on the Stourbridge Town line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
I tried the Stourbridge Town line for the first time yesterday to have a go on the Parry People Mover. I thought that having a conductor on the train was a bit too much (given it's a 3 minute journey) but my question is what is the shift diagram for people working this line? It must drive you potty if you do it 5 days a week.

Mods - Not sure which is the appropriate sub-forum for this!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,227
I tried the Stourbridge Town line for the first time yesterday to have a go on the Parry People Mover. I thought that having a conductor on the train was a bit too much (given it's a 3 minute journey) but my question is what is the shift diagram for people working this line? It must drive you potty if you do it 5 days a week.

Mods - Not sure which is the appropriate sub-forum for this!

I used to do the diagrams for the branch and, yes, staff could do 3 hours at a time (God knows how many individual journeys).

But even more tedious was the work we had to do at Bank Holidays where odd 'main line' trains didn't run, and the relevant connection would then be cancelled. BUT the return was usually still needed, so it was simply a case of converting the unit diagram (and the driver's diagram and the guard's diagram!) to show a Class 5 EDMU instead of a Class 2!

I sincerely hope that the staff on the ground ignored it and just ran as normal!
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
I think it's crazy too given the number of times they've bothered to check my tickets.

0.
 

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
I tried the Stourbridge Town line for the first time yesterday to have a go on the Parry People Mover. I thought that having a conductor on the train was a bit too much (given it's a 3 minute journey) but my question is what is the shift diagram for people working this line? It must drive you potty if you do it 5 days a week.

Mods - Not sure which is the appropriate sub-forum for this!

its ran by a separate company on behalf of london midland IIRC so presumably has its own drivers.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I think it's crazy too given the number of times they've bothered to check my tickets.

0.

I've done it twice and had my ticket checked twice, once on a Daytripper and once on a Great Escape
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
I've always wondered what would happen if they got a train load of people with no tickets. Would they make them do three trips on it until they had written out all the penalty fares/UPFNs? :D
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,192
Location
0035
I think someone said that the PMOL staff that operate this service are multi-skilled in that they can either act as driver or guard. Is this true?
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,575
I think someone said that the PMOL staff that operate this service are multi-skilled in that they can either act as driver or guard. Is this true?

In the few journeys I've made on the line, I've seen the swap happen twice IIRC, so yes, I believe this to be true.

TP
 

Goatboy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2011
Messages
2,274
I'm not entirely sure I understand why such a tiny little unit requires a guard anyway?

If a bus doesn't need a guard why does a Parry People Mover? It would seem a massive waste of money for such a tiny little vehicle with a single door to be crewed by 2!
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,741
Location
Nottingham
I doubt the Parry vehicle has anything that the railway would accept as a "deadman" control, so if the driver was incapacitated it is quite likely to carry on until it hit the stops at the end of the line. This could be quite serious as it's (quite intentionally) not built to any sort of railway structural standard either.

If there is a second member of staff then they have a good chance of stopping the vehicle before this happens. And the costs are still less than the previous situation where the service was operated by a class 153, also requiring two crew members probably paid rather more than these are. Not to mention that the 153 would cost a lot more in fuel and its annual leasing cost is probably not far off the price for outright purchase of a Parry vehicle. So even with this apparently excessive staffing it is still saving London Midland quite a lot of money.
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
Considering there are no ticket gates at either the Junction or Town, and you can easily see that there's not a guard before boarding, I think fare evasion would be incredibly high if there wasn't one
 

dooton

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2010
Messages
121
I doubt the Parry vehicle has anything that the railway would accept as a "deadman" control, so if the driver was incapacitated it is quite likely to carry on until it hit the stops at the end of the line. This could be quite serious as it's (quite intentionally) not built to any sort of railway structural standard either.

If there is a second member of staff then they have a good chance of stopping the vehicle before this happens. And the costs are still less than the previous situation where the service was operated by a class 153, also requiring two crew members probably paid rather more than these are. Not to mention that the 153 would cost a lot more in fuel and its annual leasing cost is probably not far off the price for outright purchase of a Parry vehicle. So even with this apparently excessive staffing it is still saving London Midland quite a lot of money.

There are emergency stop buttons on the ceiling, with instructions for passengers. I'm not against the dual crew, especially for security reasons later on at night. Reassuring to have a friend/colleague next to you if things go south.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,741
Location
Nottingham
The emergency stop buttons would probably be the quickest means for the conductor to stop the vehicle if they became aware the driver was incapacitated. However it's not the same thing as having a system that does this automatically if the driver fails to respond. I can't be sure but from dealings with Parrys some years ago I would expect them not to try to provide this sort of system to comply with railway standards.

I'm not trying to suggest that this is the wrong approach for Stourbridge. The idea of ultra-light rail is to get rid of some of the expensive systems and standards which are probably not appropriate on the routes it is intended for.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
I think it's crazy too given the number of times they've bothered to check my tickets.

0.
That's unusual, as I have had reason to use the Stourbridge Town shuttle several times and I have had my ticket/pass checked each and every time.
 

Lockwood

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,246
This could be quite serious as it's (quite intentionally) not built to any sort of railway structural standard either.

How did it get type approval/ORR approval/whatever box ticked to run?
 

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
How did it get type approval/ORR approval/whatever box ticked to run?
They are locked in on the branch and not permitted on to the mainline so they must have exemptions to allow them to run.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,061
Location
Reston City Centre
the costs are still less than the previous situation where the service was operated by a class 153, also requiring two crew members probably paid rather more than these are. Not to mention that the 153 would cost a lot more in fuel and its annual leasing cost is probably not far off the price for outright purchase of a Parry vehicle. So even with this apparently excessive staffing it is still saving London Midland quite a lot of money.

Except that it requires two trains so that there's a spare (that is dedicated to the Stourbridge line).

When the branch was 153 operated, there was presumably only one DMU allocated to it each day, so it was more efficient use of stock.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,741
Location
Nottingham
But even with two trains it's still a lot cheaper than the 153. The leasing costs they have saved so far should have paid for both vehicles and the little maintenance shed too.
 

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
I tried the Stourbridge Town line for the first time yesterday to have a go on the Parry People Mover. I thought that having a conductor on the train was a bit too much (given it's a 3 minute journey) but my question is what is the shift diagram for people working this line? It must drive you potty if you do it 5 days a week.

Mods - Not sure which is the appropriate sub-forum for this!

I doubt it could be as tedious as the Aldwych shuttle was.
 

aylesbury

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
622
According to a newspaper report the Parry company is in financial trouble affecting development of vehicle carrying 142 passengers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top