• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff travel card and weekend first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
Who really gives a stuff if a guard lets another guard sit on the comfy cushions for free? Certainly not me. I wish I had that perk, but I don't because I work for a University, so there you go.

But technically giving a product for free when you should charge is depriving your employer of income. That's theft from your employer. If you're caught doing it in a bar or in Tesco you'll be sacked, and we've established that first class is a premium product that is different from the standard product.

That's a matter for the employer and employee though, and I can't imagine management giving two hoots unless they really don't like the member of staff involved. Especially given how temperamental those pesky Avantix machines can be.

I don't agree it's depriving your employer from money. If I get on a train with a staff pass I will sit in standard for free. If the guard invites me into first I will sit in there but wouldn't have paid the premium in the first places as I'm only in there due to the invite. Therefore the TOC was never going to get an upgrade from me, just an empty first class seat. So me sitting in there is in no way depriving them of income. I would be travelling free on that train weather I sit in standard or first.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
By the same logic, letting your mates who aren't railway workers sit in First for free doesn't deprive them of revenue.

Although you might not have paid for the upgrade, there must be rail staff who would cough up Weekend First to avoid a wedged Standard class. Also, by making you occupy first class, it might use a seat that a paying passenger would use, and make them more likely to upgrade to First to get a seat ;)
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
By the same logic, letting your mates who aren't railway workers sit in First for free doesn't deprive them of revenue.

Although you might not have paid for the upgrade, there must be rail staff who would cough up Weekend First to avoid a wedged Standard class. Also, by making you occupy first class, it might use a seat that a paying passenger would use, and make them more likely to upgrade to First to get a seat ;)

A guard could let non railway mates sit in first to, no problems with that.

If first was busy then they wouldn't offer a free upgrade and if a first class passenger boarded and there were no seats then the guard would ask you to move.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top