• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff policy with regard to appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngboy

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
128
Whilst on the subject of appearance and this might have been done to death already and if so I apologise in advance, what about tattoos ??
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
Whilst on the subject of appearance and this might have been done to death already and if so I apologise in advance, what about tattoos ??

Doesn't really seem to be an issue, though some firms may prefer you keep them covered I would imagine. Provided you don't have a Trigger Happy TV-style 'F**k Off' across your forehead, you should be ok!
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
Whilst on the subject of appearance and this might have been done to death already and if so I apologise in advance, what about tattoos ??

They normally have a "no offensive tattoos" policy. I've heard in other industries the requirement to wear a long sleeve shirt to cover tatoos on arms, is there anything similar on railways?
 

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
They normally have a "no offensive tattoos" policy. I've heard in other industries the requirement to wear a long sleeve shirt to cover tatoos on arms, is there anything similar on railways?

They are supposed to be covered on my TOC but it is not enforced.
 

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,373
I know the MOD (for enlisted and commissioned people) gets away with alot on the basis of uniformity and hair getting tangled in rifles (no really, that's the reason), but surely on civvy street all employers have to live by the Equality Act and it's predecessors?
I think you may find the real reason service personnel are cleanly shaven/well groomed is to do with the fact that 24 hours stubble growth will prevent a solider from getting a perfect seal when trying to fit a respirator. Essential when operating in a NBC environment.
 

Neil73

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2012
Messages
141
Location
Chorley
Maybe ask your line manager what is and isnt allowed inline with your TOCs policy. It'll vary between each TOC but not much.


And its not fair when I get grief from staff about growing my beard yet I tell em off for when they try and grow theirs ;)



Are cleaners the only thing you could come up with?

I can tell you there are many MANY customer facing rolse that wont even come close to earning £40K upwards per year - probably not even in 2 years. Your generalisation of the wages that rail staff earn shows a high level of ignorance.

Ignorance? Read the posts before mine and you will see why I mentioned cleaners. Who are you to measure my level of ignorance?
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
I think you may find the real reason service personnel are cleanly shaven/well groomed is to do with the fact that 24 hours stubble growth will prevent a solider from getting a perfect seal when trying to fit a respirator. Essential when operating in a NBC environment.

I always thought it was to prevent the RSM ripping you a new ahole! :lol::lol::o
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top