• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff photographing celebrities without their permission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNN

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2024
Messages
296
Location
Birmingham
This really isn't on.

An anonymous employee of the train company who snapped the couple, said: "I don’t think any other travellers recognised them.

"I pointed her and Tom out to my work colleagues otherwise I think they wouldn’t have been spotted and travelled to their final destination unnoticed."

 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2018
Messages
5,135
Fairly certain that there is no law against it - publication may be different.
It isn’t illegal but it’s poor form for a railway employee to take a photo and send it to the press.

It may also be against the employers rules. If LNER management find out which train it was I’d expect some quiet words to that employee.
 

John Luxton

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
2,041
Location
Liverpool
Some guide lines can be found here relevant to the UK.


"The first thing to note is there is no specific law in the UK* against photographing people, even children. It is your right as a photographer to take a photo of whatever subject you like, providing your subject is not in a place where they might reasonably expect privacy (in their own home, for example)."

There can be restrictions on taking photos in private places which are open to the public and railways would come into that bracket, but the railways tend to be tolerant of photographers fortunately.

Personally I am an avid photographer who generally doesn't like photographing people.

Certainly wouldn't include people in my photos unless they add to a scene - so I imagine quite a few transport staff - road, rail and sea have found their way into my photos over the years - but I would not consider photographing someone because they are famous.

I have not got a very good memory for faces - but many years ago I was sat in a ship's lifeboat going ashore on Lundy Island and the chap sitting opposite me looked rather familiar but I couldn't place him. On the way back I saw the same chap and realised it was actor Timothy West (who is a rail and ship enthusiast). I would never have even considered taking his photo either asking him or even attempting it covertly. Just wouldn't seem right.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
There’s no law against photographing/filming in public, as we are reminded whenever there is a thread discussing railway staff being filmed/photographed without their permission when they’re at work! ;)

That aside, I suspect an employee caught doing this would be in hot water, and potentially at risk of a “bringing the company into disrepute” or similar disciplinary charge. Not a risk I would take personally - not that I would recognise most celebrities!
 
Last edited:

AverageJoe

On Moderation
Joined
23 Dec 2021
Messages
674
Location
United Kingdom
People are taking photo’s with random members of the public on them all the time.

I was a bus driver and now a train driver and have been photographed without permission hundreds if not thousands of times.

Im not saying it is right but if I have to put up with it, someone whose job is fundamentally to be “famous” should almost expect it with the job.

Not sure why the employee would send it to the press tho, desperate for attention maybe.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
It isn’t illegal but it’s poor form for a railway employee to take a photo and send it to the press.
This! I don't think there's any real issue with taking a quick snap and sharing with colleagues or friends "Look who's on my train!" but sending it press? That's really poor in my view especially when the person in question is clearly trying travel quietly without drawing attention to themselves.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,478
Location
Yorkshire
People are taking photo’s with random members of the public on them all the time.

I was a bus driver and now a train driver and have been photographed without permission hundreds if not thousands of times.
But surely not by an employee of the transport provider, and with your identity published?

I think this is a false equivalence; what you describe is very different to what this thread is about.
Im not saying it is right but if I have to put up with it, someone whose job is fundamentally to be “famous” should almost expect it with the job.
You've not had the same thing done to you, surely?
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,301
Location
East Midlands
As a slight aside on this matter, as far as I know from my reading of the forum posting rules there is no specific prohibition against posting photos on this forum which include potentially identifiable people. However, personally, in the odd case where I've posted in trip reports, and there was such a person who had "intruded" into my railway related picture, I've applied a blur to their face to make them anonymous.

I would suggest this is a good idea if there are any faces close enough and clear enough for it to be relevant.
 

PupCuff

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
603
Location
Nottingham
It must be pretty frustrating being someone 'known' and you can't go anywhere without someone wanting an autograph or a selfie.

I've never had anywhere I worked prohibit asking for pictures etc but it the same time I've never actively asked. I personally think it's a bit unprofessional. Most of the time that said even if I recognise them, which is rare, I'd have no interest in a photo.
 

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,753
Location
Glasgow
It must be pretty frustrating being someone 'known' and you can't go anywhere without someone wanting an autograph or a selfie.
That'll be why some keep themselves anonymous despite being well known (Marshmello a good example). Keeps the privacy whilst also being famous.
 
Last edited:

KNN

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2024
Messages
296
Location
Birmingham
Interesting to see there is a diversity of views, I'd thought it would be unacceptable to most people.
 

paninaro

Member
Joined
26 Dec 2022
Messages
79
Location
UK
There’s no law against photographing/filming in public, as we are reminded whenever there is a thread discussing railway staff being filmed/photographed without their permission when they’re at work! ;)
Genuine question; is a train a public or private space? I have no idea
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
It is unacceptable and appropriate because I haven't got clue who Margot and her friend Robbie are.
 

paninaro

Member
Joined
26 Dec 2022
Messages
79
Location
UK
It is a public space. You have no expectation of privacy there.
I suppose I don't get the difference between it and a shopping centre, both are "public" but the latter is called out as a "private space" in the linked article above
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,933
Location
Exeter
We should all be more worried about being on CCTV or facial recognition software. This was what I told a woman who approached a group of us bus photographers saying she wanted us to delete any photos with her included.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,679
I consider it unacceptable for a railway employee to do this, because it might put them (and other celebrities) off travelling by train. Of course, there is nothing to stop members of the public doing it. But surely it should only be polite to ask permission first, especially if you are going to post the photo onto social media or send it to the press.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

We should all be more worried about being on CCTV or facial recognition software. This was what I told a woman who approached a group of us bus photographers saying she wanted us to delete any photos with her included.
Do photos on CCTV or facial recognition software get posted to social media or sent to the press? I thought there were rules around what such images can be used for.
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,933
Location
Exeter
I consider it unacceptable for a railway employee to do this, because it might put them (and other celebrities) off travelling by train. Of course, there is nothing to stop members of the public doing it. But surely it should only be polite to ask permission first, especially if you are going to post the photo onto social media or send it to the press.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Do photos on CCTV or facial recognition software get posted to social media or sent to the press? I thought there were rules around what such images can be used for.
No, but our conversation wasn't about photos being published - but they could be misused by the "authorities".
 

Stewart2887

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2013
Messages
140
Marshmello? Who? But I did see a photo of a GWR conductor with Billy Joel. Cool-if it was with permission
 

John Luxton

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
2,041
Location
Liverpool
It is a public space. You have no expectation of privacy there.
Technically a train as are shopping centres private spaces on private land.

Once or twice over the years I have spotted myself in photos posted on Flickr or other such places from fellow enthusiasts hang out.

I have no problem with that and sometimes find it quite amusing but the person who took the photo didn't set out to photograph me I just happened to be there with other people.

However, photographing an individual just because who they are seems wrong to me.

The media seem to monetise images of famous people and I think this is the motivation for some people doing it.
 

Gemz91

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2013
Messages
735
Location
Garden Shed
When I started as a customer host in 2010 we were told in no circumstances should you ask a celebrity for a photo. You was to treat them as any other normal passenger. Strange how over the years it’s become acceptable to ask celebrities for photos now. Even seen tocs posting pictures of celebrities on social media. Personally I find it a bit cringy, just let them crack on with the their lives and eat their sandwich’s like anyone else. Seems a bit unprofessional taking a photo of a passenger, whether you ask and certainly if you don’t ask.*

Would it be acceptable on a first class flight?


*I did take a photo of a passenger being racist towards another passenger yesterday but I do feel that is different.
 

Uncle Buck

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2020
Messages
336
Location
Glasgow
A fellow traveller seeing Margot Robbie and photographing her is bad manners. A member of staff seeing her and photographing her is unprofessional in the extreme and ought to justify disciplinary action. Absolutely bang out of order. Can they not behave themselves at work?

(As an aside, when I visited Windsor Castle, I was taking a photograph of the Quadrangle, aware that some people were moving around a car in the corner. Only after I looked at the photo later did I notice that this was Prince William and some of his children. Perhaps when Princess Charlotte writes her misery memoirs in 2050 a la her uncle Harry, this will be an incident she remembers for the wrong reasons!!)
 

AverageJoe

On Moderation
Joined
23 Dec 2021
Messages
674
Location
United Kingdom
But surely not by an employee of the transport provider, and with your identity published?

I think this is a false equivalence; what you describe is very different to what this thread is about.

You've not had the same thing done to you, surely?
I’m sure my face is on countless forums over the years without my permission.

It’s only because I’m not famous that it hasn’t reached the papers.

I mean I literally said it’s unusual for the employee to do it so I don’t know what more you would like me to say on that.

My point was it’s not a crime and they work in an industry that brings about this type of reaction.

Whether people think it’s morally right or wrong is a different matter.
 
Last edited:

michael74

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
586
As I understand the railway is private property, not public land (hence the ability to refuse admission, kick people off/out and set its own bylaws).

There is no expectation of privacy from the use of CCTV or bodyworn cameras as these are GDPR compliant for use in prosecutions etc

In the case of antisocial behaviour we are told under no circumstances to take pictures using our own or company issued phones etc (see above re: GDPR/evidence chain etc).

This bit I am unsure of, but in my mind I imagine that the covert photo of the celebs and subsequent publishing may infringe company policy (and maybe GDPR because we are on private property, really not sure now) but it's also just bad form and tacky.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top