• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff Brief on Strike Day Ticket Arrangments

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHESHIRECAT

Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
296
It's return ½ Euston Stockport
STOCKPORT closed...had I known that wouldn't have travelled...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trover

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2022
Messages
190
Location
North West
I can’t find a thread for this but probably doesn’t justify a new thread so just ask here.

I’ve NT only advance for tmrw 0950 Lancaster - Preston but it’s been cancelled, won’t be another NT until 3 hours later, they’ve acceptance with TP but only VT is running, wish to use the 0939 VT, tweeted both VT and NT, both said no. Do I really need to purchase a new ticket? Cheers
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,803
Location
UK
I can’t find a thread for this but probably doesn’t justify a new thread so just ask here.

I’ve NT only advance for tmrw 0950 Lancaster - Preston but it’s been cancelled, won’t be another NT until 3 hours later, they’ve acceptance with TP but only VT is running, wish to use the 0939 VT, tweeted both VT and NT, both said no. Do I really need to purchase a new ticket? Cheers
Article 16(b) of the PRO refers... ;)
 

trover

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2022
Messages
190
Location
North West
Article 16(b) of the PRO refers... ;)
Thanks! So it still applies the same during strikes…:lol: Don’t really wish to bother with that but it’s the easiest way to avoid missing onward connections.

Was curious as NT didn’t even point me to use the earlier 0847 or the 1251 as they usually would, instead suggested me to obtain a refund (and nothing is explicitly stated either on the NRE or TOCs websites), makes me wonder if it’s any different during strikes.
 
Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,803
Location
UK
Thanks! So it still applies the same during strikes…:lol: Don’t really wish to bother with that but it’s the easiest way to avoid missing onward connections.

Was curious as NT didn’t even point me to use the earlier 0847 or the 1251 as they usually would, instead suggested me to obtain a refund (and nothing is explicitly stated either on the NRE or TOCs websites), makes me wonder if it’s any different during strikes.
None of the PRO rights have exemptions based on the reason for the delay/cancellation. In fact the ECJ decided that any attempt to limit PRO rights in 'force majeure' circumstances was unenforceable. A strike would, in most circumstances, not even constitute 'force majeure'.

The rail industry is in breach of the PRO on a massive scale during these strikes, by claiming that passengers' rights are limited to certain remedies (e.g. travelling 1 day before or 2 days after, as was originally the position). But, as usual, they will get away with it in 99.9% of cases.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,813
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Article 16(b) of the PRO refers... ;)

BUT

The right to be rerouted does NOT include the right to simply board the Avanti train. Thus you have to argue it out with Northern first so they reroute you, or if they flat refuse then buy a ticket for Avanti and sue Northern for it in the Small Claims Court. If you just board the Avanti train they will likely attempt to charge you the below, but you also risk prosecution, certainly were you to refuse to pay it.

As an Off Peak Day Single route AVANTI from Lancaster to Preston costs £7.30, or Anytime £8.30, and there will presumably be some refundable value in your Advance, I leave it up to you to work out whether that is actually worth pursuing.
 

trover

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2022
Messages
190
Location
North West
The right to be rerouted does NOT include the right to simply board the Avanti train. Thus you have to argue it out with Northern first so they reroute you, or if they flat refuse then buy a ticket for Avanti and sue Northern for it in the Small Claims Court. If you just board the Avanti train they will likely attempt to charge you the below, but you also risk prosecution, certainly were you to refuse to pay it.
So (in the unlikely event that they comply) technically they can reroute me onto the 1038 rather than the 0939, as the 1038 still arrives at Preston less than 60 mins late? I’ve onward connections which makes ETA 60+ mins if taking next train so probably they won’t if I present them those tickets but I don’t really want to unless necessary because they’re “exceptionally cheap”.
As an Off Peak Day Single route AVANTI from Lancaster to Preston costs £7.30, or Anytime £8.30, and there will presumably be some refundable value in your Advance, I leave it up to you to work out whether that is actually worth pursuing.
It makes the trip unjustifiable ;)
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,803
Location
UK
So (in the unlikely event that they comply) technically they can reroute me onto the 1038 rather than the 0939, as the 1038 still arrives at Preston less than 60 mins late? I’ve onward connections which makes ETA 60+ mins if taking next train so probably they won’t if I present them those tickets but I don’t really want to unless necessary because they’re “exceptionally cheap”.
The obligation is to re-route you at the earliest available opportunity, not merely to reduce the delay to less than 60 minutes. So you would be entitled to be re-routed onto the 09:39 if you so desire.

That said, I would imagine it's pretty unlikely there'll be any ticket check as Avanti services almost all have a crew change at Preston and tickets would likely already have been checked further north...
 

trover

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2022
Messages
190
Location
North West
The obligation is to re-route you at the earliest available opportunity, not merely to reduce the delay to less than 60 minutes. So you would be entitled to be re-routed onto the 09:39 if you so desire.
Thanks for clarifying:)
That said, I would imagine it's pretty unlikely there'll be any ticket check as Avanti services almost all have a crew change at Preston and tickets would likely already have been checked further north...
That’s true. I travel LAN - PRE almost every day recently, only 2/3/5 cars trains do ticket check. However in an evening a RPI went into the coach I was in and checked tickets just 20 seconds before the 11 cars train came to a stop at Lancastero_O
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top