• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff at Heathrow Rail insisted I sit down last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2018
Messages
1,612
This isn't solely an airport thing - plenty of railway staff will approach someone who is acting somewhat out of the ordinary and may ask them to sit down, or take a seat perhaps to calm that down. As well as security, it might be something like suicide prevention. Always better to err on the side of caution. Quite simply until you ask someone you can only presume what their intentions are.

Spot on. Earlier this year, I was at Llandudno Junction wandering up and down the platforms on my own. The officers (police? Travel safe officers?) asked me if I was OK etc. No big deal. I'm a single bloke in my 50s, so nice to know they cared. Had a good chat about things for a few minutes. It's good to talk.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,427
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Absolutely and well said. The preservation of life and the prevention of harm (ie safety considerations) must be the highest priority.

Suicide is the single biggest killer of men under 45 in the uk. If asking someone how they are, or asking them to sit down offends some peoples sense of personal privacy then this is indeed a very sad world.

We do, however, have to watch concepts like “preservation of life” being misused as means of exerting authoritarianism over others.

Likewise I’m always rather wary of “security” being used as a justification for things, often pretty spurious - in the same way “it’s illegal to park here” often translates to “I don’t want people parking near my house”. The infamous Acton Bridge couple are a case in point, in their case using Covid as a means of furthering their own agenda.

There’s ways of dealing with people suspected of being at risk of harm, and certainly at my workplace the guidance is for an open and friendly engagement in conversation. This is rather different from the bullish ordering around which the original poster refers to being on the receiving end of.

Having said that, Heathrow is private property, so they can essentially do what they want.
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
If I was suicidal the manner in which I was spoken to would not have discouraged me to commit suicide it was confrontational while I was trying my best to remain polite knowing it wasn't there fault the train left early
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,480
Location
Yorkshire
Without seeing the behaviour it really is difficult to have a meaningful debate on this topic, so I have locked the thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top