• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras to Surrey destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
I often purchase tickets from the TVMs at St Pancras to various Southern Region destinations. To Sth Eastern & Sth Central destinations you usually get a cheaper 'not underground' option. These tickets are, of course, valid on the underground when the Thameslink blockade is on.

To Sth Western stations the 'not underground' option is not usually available but until this week the ticket, when printed, has been from 'London St Pancras' to 'xxxx' route 'any permitted'. These tickets do not show the Maltese Cross symbol but are certainly accepted by the LU barriers whilst Thameslink is blocked - last week, for example, I used a St Pancras to Woking via the tube to Waterloo.

This Saturday though the ticket to Cobham & Stoke D'abernon was routed from London Terminals rather than from St Pancras - again route 'any permitted' and no Maltese Cross markings. I was always under the impression that St Pancras was not a 'London Terminal' for Southern destinations but, on the grounds that there was no way other than the tube to get there, I set off towards Vauxhall and again the LU barriers at both ends accepted the ticket.

My questions, which hopefully an expert can help with:
1) Is St Pancras a 'London Terminal' for destinations in Surrey ?
2a) If it is, would the ticket to Cobham be valid on the underground normally or only while Thameslink is blocked ?
2b) If it isn't, why are from 'London Terminals', as opposed to from 'St Pancras', tickets issued for some but, not all, Surrey destinations (with no indication prior to printing which is which)


--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Apologies for replying to myself, but it seems no one who knows the answers is about yet, and I have just read the thread about a similar situation involving a ticket from Gravesend.

In that case it is suggested that a London Terminals ticket is issued in error, so that could explain 2b). I assume the solution, as you can't tell from the TVM display what is going to be printed on the ticket, is to always buy my ticket from the ticket office and make sure it says from St Pancras. Bit of a pain though when there are usually queues.

Any advice on my other questions still welcome.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
I think your analysis is correct, that it may have been issued in error (e.g. if the machine wasn't programmed to issue tickets from St Pancras specifically), I don't know why it worked the gates other than if the error was frequent they may have been programmed to accept them, or maybe the gates were set in a mode to accept such tickets in the event of a blockade for some unknown reason and that was co-incidental.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Thanks Dan. Interesting thread. It seems it is all a complete shambles which has been going on for years.

If SWT/FCC can't rectify the issue, I will work on the basis that if the TVM issues a ticket I will use it.
 

dan_atki

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2006
Messages
1,879
It was such a shambles when St Pancras first opened that staff at St Pancras were asked to honour London Terminals tickets from the south there. I think this particular issue was with Southern south coast stations as mentioned by paul1609 and I'm not sure whether this instruction still applies.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top