• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras EMT platforms: Annoying screens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Using the current guideline and given how big St Pancakes is, is it really reasonable to expect someone sitting in Betjamin Arms to make it onto the train in 2 minutes?
Seeing as every retail unit has a departure screen, I'd say it's your own fault if you're in the Betjeman and leave it until two minutes before departure.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
The ones at Betjamin Arms can disappear maybe 5 minutes from the actual departure time, whereas the ones near E* can be taken off 3 minutes ahead and the ones on the main concourse 1 minute early, for example.
They all feed off the nationwide CIS system, and I doubt very much whether it's possible. And before you say it could be done manually, no thank you, I have enough work to do already.
 

NightatLaira

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2010
Messages
490
Am I the only one who feels its just *wrong* that you can't board your train a full two minutes before its advertised departure time?

No, I'm sort of with you on that. I understand why the TOCs do it, but for able bodied people like ourselves I see nothing wrong with 'legging it' to the doors before they close.
 

RailwayDan

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2011
Messages
67
Location
Trent Junction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cob:

"Cob, a regional name for a bread roll in the Midlands of England."

I think I've lived in the Midlands too long... :lol:

Yup, it's called a cob! My Midland roots showing there also.

My girlfriend, who is from Stalybridge calls it a muffin, which is alien to me. When she asked for a bacon muffin in my home town, she got the reply 'Sorry love, we only do chocolate ones 'ere.'
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But on topic, I use the EMT services from STP fairly frequently and have always made sure to leave plenty of time to board for that very reason. As someone else mentioned, they usually enter the platform number 15 minutes before departure, but if you know the set (HST/222) then you can go through the barrier a minute or two early to avoid the crush.

To avoid the long walk from the tube use the Northern Ticket Hall, (no good from the Circle/District lines though) come up via the walkway, below the Southeastern concourse and you're at the right end to get up onto the EMT concourse.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
They all feed off the nationwide CIS system, and I doubt very much whether it's possible. And before you say it could be done manually, no thank you, I have enough work to do already.

It might not be possible the way the CIS system is configured at the moment, however with a little investment in the IT side of things, it is not impossible to do. There is no need for manual operation.

However where the investment money will come from in the current economic climate is another matter.
 

Sceptre

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2009
Messages
187
Location
Leeds
Brighouse has a cafe overlooking the track which does nice sandwiches, although you have to leave the station to get to it.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
I suspect Huddersfield and Hebden Bridge on-platform buffets have accrued several million delay minutes in the last ten years due to their rather nice bacon and sausage barms attracting stray traincrew slowly eating themselves to death.

Not that I've been guilty of err..... anyway :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top