• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras EMT platforms: Annoying screens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
On the departure screens, it is incredibly annoying that trains will be removed off the screens 2-3 minutes before scheduled departure. I mean 30 seconds etc ok is understandable, but latecommers could easily make the 1555 service at 1552:30, but they don't because they are stood under the boards wondering where their train is.


Why is it done?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,400
Location
Bedford
It's to stop people running for the train at the last minute - IIRC the time is longer for HSTs as dispatch staff dont want to have to run down half the platform to close the passenger door before they give the RA to the driver :)
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
It's always two minutes, it's automatic from within the CIS system and it was requested by EMT senior management. The reason is exactly as Mike says.
In the past, when there were only four trains an hour, the platform gates would also be closed two minutes before departure, and a notice actually states that on the gate. It's also in the EMT timetable.
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
It also helps if they put trains platforms up more then ten minutes before they leave, leaving a nice 8 minute window for the mob under the screen to force themselves through the barriers and squeeze into the nearest door.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Thinking about it, I guess they also want prompt departures as there is mostly a train waiting for a platform because the design of the station is brilliant!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
It also helps if they put trains platforms up more then ten minutes before they leave, leaving a nice 8 minute window for the mob under the screen to force themselves through the barriers and squeeze into the nearest door.

Neighbouring Kings Cross is the worst for that - on one occasion on a Saturday, the platform for the next train (Kings Lynn I believe) was the only one shown, despite several trains (including an EC to Edinburgh) being only 5-10 mins later!
 

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,400
Location
Bedford
It also helps if they put trains platforms up more then ten minutes before they leave, leaving a nice 8 minute window for the mob under the screen to force themselves through the barriers and squeeze into the nearest door.

To be fair to EMT, they usually get the platform displayed 15-20 minutes before departure, unless the incoming train is late :)
 

mallard

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2009
Messages
1,304
On a similar note, why is the concourse for the EMT platforms so small?

Because the designers of St. Pancras were entirely focussed on First-Class Eurostar passengers and considered it an embarrassment that the "lower classes" would use "their" station, so they did their best to hide the EMT/SET and FCC bits out of the way.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Because the designers of St. Pancras were entirely focussed on First-Class Eurostar passengers and considered it an embarrassment that the "lower classes" would use "their" station, so they did their best to hide the EMT/SET and FCC bits out of the way.
So where would you have put them?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It also helps if they put trains platforms up more then ten minutes before they leave, leaving a nice 8 minute window for the mob under the screen to force themselves through the barriers and squeeze into the nearest door.
As a matter of course, EMT services are boarded no later than fifteen minutes before departure. The only time that this is not the case, is if there's a technical issue (e.g. doors, coupling up) or late inbound arrival.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On a similar note, why is the concourse for the EMT platforms so small?
It isn't really. But the barrier line and departure screen are badly placed, and artificially shorten it, as no-one goes past the screen until the platform is displayed. That means that the area behind the barriers (about another five yards) is almost always empty.
 

mallard

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2009
Messages
1,304
So where would you have put them?

Over the top of the shopping centre they have there, with the bufferstops level with the Eurostar ones. The FCC station could also be much improved, so it wouldn't look and feel like a neglected sub-basement.

It's ridiculous how far you have to walk from the tube to the EMT platforms, but I'm sure all the high-priced eateries and boutiques appreciate all the commuters that have to walk past them everyday.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Over the top of the shopping centre they have there, with the bufferstops level with the Eurostar ones. The FCC station could also be much improved, so it wouldn't look and feel like a neglected sub-basement.

It's ridiculous how far you have to walk from the tube to the EMT platforms, but I'm sure all the high-priced eateries and boutiques appreciate all the commuters that have to walk past them everyday.
There's not room, that's why the EMT and SET platforms extend further out past the sides of the original building. Also, if you put the buffers stops there, you have an extra two hundred yards of track that's not needed.
And even if you could do that, the bottom floor would be so dark as to be no use, so you then have to find somewhere for Eurostar check-in, security, arrivals etc. Unless you just use artificial light throughout which will cost a bomb, and no retail at all, which means a loss of revenue for the railways.
FCC is where it is, because that's where the line runs. Yes, it's downstairs but what else would you do? It's bigger than King's Cross Thameslink, with wider platforms, better access (escalators and lifts).
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,436
Over the top of the shopping centre they have there, with the bufferstops level with the Eurostar ones. The FCC station could also be much improved, so it wouldn't look and feel like a neglected sub-basement.

It's ridiculous how far you have to walk from the tube to the EMT platforms, but I'm sure all the high-priced eateries and boutiques appreciate all the commuters that have to walk past them everyday.

They may have done had EMT been electrified. Remembering the old St Pancras and indeed having used Paddington yesterday I can see exactly why they wanted to keep dirty noisy diesels out of the expensively refurbished main trainshed.....
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,695
Am I the only one who feels its just *wrong* that you can't board your train a full two minutes before its advertised departure time?
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
Because the designers of St. Pancras were entirely focussed on First-Class Eurostar passengers and considered it an embarrassment that the "lower classes" would use "their" station, so they did their best to hide the EMT/SET and FCC bits out of the way.

I agree 100%. Totally Eurostar-centric design. I do wonder what the Midland Railway company would think of the current St Pancras. I mean, since they were going to force the MML services out of the main shed anyway, it's ridiculous they only put in 4 platforms!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I agree 100%. Totally Eurostar-centric design. I do wonder what the Midland Railway company would think of the current St Pancras. I mean, since they were going to force the MML services out of the main shed anyway, it's ridiculous they only put in 4 platforms!

A man once went up to the FCC gateline desk at St Pancras whilst I was mooching around there, and said: 'I'd like to make a complaint. This is more like a shopping mall than a [sic] train station'. Never have I agreed with anything that has ever been said more. I was there a few Sundays back, about 0900 in the morning, and I couldn't find a god damn thing for breakfast that wasn't French or £25.00!
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I definitely prefer the old St. Pancras. The new one is just showing off to all the foreign tourists, whilst making domestic journeys a lot more inconvenient than they need to be!
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
A man once went up to the FCC gateline desk at St Pancras whilst I was mooching around there, and said: 'I'd like to make a complaint. This is more like a shopping mall than a [sic] train station'. Never have I agreed with anything that has ever been said more. I was there a few Sundays back, about 0900 in the morning, and I couldn't find a god damn thing for breakfast that wasn't French or £25.00!
Bacon and egg baguette and a filter coffee from Pret a Manger is £2.85. Porridge from Chop'd is £1.85. Full English at The Betjeman Arms is less than £10, same at The Grand.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree 100%. Totally Eurostar-centric design. I do wonder what the Midland Railway company would think of the current St Pancras. I mean, since they were going to force the MML services out of the main shed anyway, it's ridiculous they only put in 4 platforms!
Seeing as they have trains twice as long as all the other operators, where else would you put them?
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Bacon and egg baguette and a filter coffee from Pret a Manger is £2.85. Porridge from Chop'd is £1.85. Full English at The Betjeman Arms is less than £10, same at The Grand.

Yeah, I was looking for somewhere where I could just pick up a bacon butty and leave, which I didn't expect to be too complex for a multi-million pound international railway station.
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
£1.85 for porridge and a tenner for a full English? Bacon and egg baguette and coffee it is then...

Glad the taxpayer funds most of my STP eating :D

Pret a manger is a bit hit and miss, most times I've been in there's not a great deal to choose from.
 

NSEFAN

Established Member
Joined
17 Jun 2007
Messages
3,518
Location
Southampton
Williamn said:
Am I the only one who feels its just *wrong* that you can't board your train a full two minutes before its advertised departure time?

It's not that you can't, it's just not advertised on the monitors. As has been mentioned, it prevents people making a last-minute dash for a train and trains being delayed further (this is especially useful when a the train is some distance from the main concourse). If you know exactly which train is yours, there's nothing to stop you from boarding it.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Yeah, I was looking for somewhere where I could just pick up a bacon butty and leave, which I didn't expect to be too complex for a multi-million pound international railway station.
I don't know any station these days where you can get a fresh bacon sandwich. That's a fault of stations as a whole, not just STP.
Actually, yes I can. West Cornwall Pasty Co., by the EMT concourse. Hot bacon (and sausage) rolls.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
I don't know any station these days where you can get a fresh bacon sandwich. That's a fault of stations as a whole, not just STP.
Actually, yes I can. West Cornwall Pasty Co., by the EMT concourse. Hot bacon (and sausage) rolls.

Worksop.

The best bacon sandwich I have ever had, if the cafe is open...
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Bolton ain't bad either for bacon butties.

Anyway, back on topic, I think Dublin Heuston was similar, the Cork trains went off the screen about 2-3 mins early.
 

ALEMASTER

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2011
Messages
488
The practice has been pretty standard for many years for long distance Intercity services at London terminals.

The platform isn't announced until cleaning, tanking and other train servicing activity is complete and the train is ready to receive passengers.

Boarding ends a minute or two before departure to ensure a punctual departure. Remember the time shown in the timetable is the time the train sets off, not the time you get on it!
 

craigwilson

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
424
Location
Buxton, Derbyshire
I don't know any station these days where you can get a fresh bacon sandwich. That's a fault of stations as a whole, not just STP.
Actually, yes I can. West Cornwall Pasty Co., by the EMT concourse. Hot bacon (and sausage) rolls.

Also the new cafe they opened at Margate isn't bad for freshly prepared sandwiches and hot snacks. Definitely preferable to the Pumpkin at Ramsgate.
 

mallard

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2009
Messages
1,304
I don't know any station these days where you can get a fresh bacon sandwich.

I don't know how it can be "fresh" unless they have a bakery and pig farm on site, but just about every station with a "Pumpkin" (almost every major station in the country) will sell you a warmed bacon cob. They'll even reduce the price to £1 if you buy it with a hot drink!
 

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
Harry Ramsdens at Euston will do you a bacon or sausage sandwich for breakfast.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I don't know how it can be "fresh" unless they have a bakery and pig farm on site, but just about every station with a "Pumpkin" (almost every major station in the country) will sell you a warmed bacon cob. They'll even reduce the price to £1 if you buy it with a hot drink!
I don't know what a "cob" is (other than a corn-on-the-) but the bacon/sausage rolls they sell in Pumpkin contain pre-cooked bacon/sausage which is only heated up on the toastie machine. I presume by "fresh" he means bacon that is cooked shortly before the food is served.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Am I the only one who feels its just *wrong* that you can't board your train a full two minutes before its advertised departure time?

I agree, and I believe that with today's technology it is not impossible to stagger the times when departing services get taken off the screen. Using the current guideline and given how big St Pancakes is, is it really reasonable to expect someone sitting in Betjamin Arms to make it onto the train in 2 minutes? On the other hand, you barely need a minute from the main concourse to the nearest set of doors so taking the service off the board 2 minutes early is not very passenger-focused.

The ones at Betjamin Arms can disappear maybe 5 minutes from the actual departure time, whereas the ones near E* can be taken off 3 minutes ahead and the ones on the main concourse 1 minute early, for example.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top