• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras and steam railtours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2014
Messages
59
Just wondering why Kings Cross, Liverpool Street, Euston, Waterloo, Victoria and Paddington see pretty decent steam railtours starting and sometimes returning, yet I've not seen anything about St Pancras - I'd love to see for example, a Scot take maroon mk1 stock on a midland mainline special...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Capacity would be one matter. You have near enough or in excess of a dozen platforms at Euston, Liverpool Street (I can't actually remember the last time I saw a steam loco there but I don't doubt it has happened), Paddington, Victoria (split between two halves) and Kings Cross. St Pancras has just four!
 

Dawg

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2014
Messages
59
I didn't know that. Makes sense... Liverpool St - 60163 Tornado was there last weekend.
 

LAX54

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2008
Messages
3,906
I didn't know that. Makes sense... Liverpool St - 60163 Tornado was there last weekend.

Albeit one direction, the trip in the up direction terminated at Stratford.
 

markindurham

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2011
Messages
390
Albeit one direction, the trip in the up direction terminated at Stratford.

Only because of late running and the need to return Tornado to Stewarts Lane before an Engineering blockade, I believe. Initial plan was to run through to Liverpool Street.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
I think there has been the odd steamer going from the new St. Pancras in recent years, perhaps upto the Matlock area, but as said above, there are not many spare platforms at St.P now.
 

markindurham

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2011
Messages
390
Is steam actually permitted to arrive at St Pancras these days? Departures are no problem, but arrivals? OK, the MML services these days don't get anywhere near today's Eurostar platforms & the shops in the undercroft, but when did a steam hauled train last arrive there?
 

cav1975

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
456
The real scandal is the gross over provision of platform space for infrequent International services while leaving East Midlands and South Eastern to squeeze their frequent services into a handful of platforms.
 

Kieran1990

Member
Joined
29 Feb 2016
Messages
420
Location
Leeds
I think Tangemere ran a special Golden Arrow Statesmen a fair few years back from St P Intl down to Folkstone (8-10years ago) via NLL- WLL. But I can't be sure for certain.
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
Often steam charters join the Midland Mainline north of St. Pancras, from the North London line with a first stop at St. Albans or Luton
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,049
Location
St Albans
Often steam charters join the Midland Mainline north of St. Pancras, from the North London line with a first stop at St. Albans or Luton

Yes they seem to go from Victoria and via the Dudding Hill line, - not sure how they get onto that line from Victoria though.
 

High Dyke

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2013
Messages
5,017
Location
Yellabelly Country
There was charter departing from St.P in November 2014. The ECS arrived hauled by 47746, which then worked top+tailed with 6115 'Scots Guardsman' hauling the departure. The train returned via the ECML to Kings Cross. Info here: https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/10s/141109rt.htm

Yes they seem to go from Victoria and via the Dudding Hill line, - not sure how they get onto that line from Victoria though.
In the past I've done a railtour from St.P to Ramsgate and back. The route was via Acton and Barnes. I can't remember the date off the top of my head, but it was Cl.58 hauled. I recall we went in Woolies at Ramsgate and purchased some chrimbo decs for the train journey back.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Yes they seem to go from Victoria and via the Dudding Hill line, - not sure how they get onto that line from Victoria though.

I have been that way From London Victoria by Steam, it went through Battersea/Stewarts lane, under the SWT lines at Clapham Jct, coming up on the Windsor side there, then through Putney, Barnes Bridge, a sharp turn just before Kew Bridge, then connecting onto the North and West London Lines and Dudding Hill onto the MML, where depending on the tour, I either went North or indeed South which was a very interesting route. :D
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,049
Location
St Albans
I have been that way From London Victoria by Steam, it went through Battersea/Stewarts lane, under the SWT lines at Clapham Jct, coming up on the Windsor side there, then through Putney, Barnes Bridge, a sharp turn just before Kew Bridge, then connecting onto the North and West London Lines and Dudding Hill onto the MML, where depending on the tour, I either went North or indeed South which was a very interesting route. :D

Oh I see now. There's a single track chord from the throat of Stewarts Lane to the SWML underpass. London has an amazing number of links that make these transfers by otherwise segregated pre-grouping remnants possible.
Going south at Dudding Hill Junction presumably is to get onto the GOBlin via Carlton Road Junction allowing access to the ECML at Harringay and the GEML via Tottenham South Junction, Temple Mills East and Stratford Central Junctions.
I could envisage a sort of parlour game tracking routes between two unlikely places on the London rail network, (probably something the planners do as a job).
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Oh I see now. There's a single track chord from the throat of Stewarts Lane to the SWML underpass. London has an amazing number of links that make these transfers by otherwise segregated pre-grouping remnants possible.
Going south at Dudding Hill Junction presumably is to get onto the GOBlin via Carlton Road Junction allowing access to the ECML at Harringay and the GEML via Tottenham South Junction, Temple Mills East and Stratford Central Junctions.
.

Yes that is exactly what I have done on at least 3 Railtours, I think all were with Hastings Diesels, one ended up at Barking from where we went to Fenchurch Street, then Southend & Shoeburynbess, back via Barking/Goblin. another we joined the ECML heading North, infact I think I also did that with steam in recent years too. Another was very unusual, coming from Clapham Jct via Barnes, Dudding Hill, then Goblin I think, linking at Stratford back onto the North London Line and joining the MML towards Leicester, we could not do a more direct route owing to weekend engineering work, so we went over or under a bit of track in the North west London area that we had traversed about an hour before. (There were alot of happy faces on that train. ) :D

It is amazing what you can do using the North & West London Line connections and the odd bit of goods lines too.
 

Bedpan

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
1,299
Location
Harpenden
On the basis that Thameslink use St Pancras proper from time to time when there is an engineering blockade preventing use of the low level platforms, I wouldn't have thought that arranging a one off departure for a railtour would be too much of an issue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top