• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Leonard’s Sidings - Thumper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,301
Location
South West London
Hi all, hoping for some help.

I’ve just seen what I believe to be a 205 at St Leonard’s Sidings (I think that’s the correct location name), in plain blue. Does anyone know what unit it is and what it’s doing there please?

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LA50041

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2017
Messages
3,186
Hi all, hoping for some help.

I’ve just seen what I believe to be a 205 at St Leonard’s Sidings (I think that’s the correct location name), in plain blue. Does anyone know what unit it is and what it’s doing there please?

Thanks
St Leonard’s depot is the home of the Hastings diesel 1001, although I think this is in SR Green (or was last time I saw it)
Was it a whole unit? I believe They also have some additional cars undergoing restoration there so one or more of those could be in blue
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,969
Location
Airedale
I've seen a picture on SM about a blue 205 or 207 being repainted at WM, but I can't remember who tweeted it :)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
They were home to a 205 thumper that was used for de-icing duties up until the noughties.

Don't know whether they inherited it, or whether they still have it as I haven't seen it on their news pages for a while.
 

LA50041

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2017
Messages
3,186
Social media, eg Twitter, hence the reference to tweeting :)
West Marina, the traditional name of the depot referred to. Apologies.
Thanks.
wasn’t the depot code SE for st Leonards?
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,401
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
They were home to a 205 thumper that was used for de-icing duties up until the noughties.

Don't know whether they inherited it, or whether they still have it as I haven't seen it on their news pages for a while.

I think this is the correct answer - the two motor cars from 205027 and 205031. These are shown as being stored at St Leonards, and there doesn’t seem to be any reference anywhere to them being disposed of. Some googling shows a photo of them coupled together and painted blue dated 2016. No idea what the plans are for them.

If I remember rightly the sandite car was the intermediate trailer from 1111, and at some point this has been scrapped.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
I think this is the correct answer - the two motor cars from 205027 and 205031. These are shown as being stored at St Leonards, and there doesn’t seem to be any reference anywhere to them being disposed of. Some googling shows a photo of them coupled together and painted blue dated 2016. No idea what the plans are for them.

If I remember rightly the sandite car was the intermediate trailer from 1111, and at some point this has been scrapped.

I recall seeing pictures of a ropey looking SUB trailer that was used with it at one time.

I'm very pleased if they've kept those two motor coaches. I think they own a 205 trailer that was leant to the railway at Isfield as well.
 

4SubAsociation

Verified Rep
Joined
4 Dec 2020
Messages
300
Location
Ashford, Kent
RHRP Survey to the rescue. The 205s that are there are both motor coaches. They are listed as below.

60149 (From unit 1131)
60145 (from unit 1127)

Both where part of sandite unit 930301 which had the Sub trailer inbetween (10400 - ADB977364), this was sold and moved to Finmere which adly this has been scrapped. It was scrapped Feb 2020.

Hastings diesels also own 60820 which is ex class 204 which is at the lavender line. It is used with other 205's they have there (205033, 205018 and 205023)
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,301
Location
South West London
Thanks all! I’d only been past the depot once before and when I was last there, it was just a 73 and a 171 so I presumed it was all owned/used by Southern
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top