I don't understand the law (in England & Wales) in situations like the squatting in commercial properties described in this news article about Gordon Ramsay's former pub:
www.bbc.co.uk
I understand that the freeholder isn't allowed to use force or the threat of force to remove squatters from a commercial property. But could the freeholder employ agents to enter the property, which they could do by damaging the property if needed, e.g. removing a window, since the freeholder could give permission for this. The agents could then be inside the property simultaneously with the squatters and make life difficult for the squatters. I'm envisioning ex Special Forces agents, who might start small by leaving the toilet seat up and failing to do the washing up, and take it further as required e.g. doing building work that makes the property less habitable.
But do the squatters once inside have an exclusive right to occupy the commercial property? I'm not sure why that right would make sense.
Squatters take over Gordon Ramsay's £13m London pub
At least six people are occupying the York & Albany pub near Regents Park in central London.
I understand that the freeholder isn't allowed to use force or the threat of force to remove squatters from a commercial property. But could the freeholder employ agents to enter the property, which they could do by damaging the property if needed, e.g. removing a window, since the freeholder could give permission for this. The agents could then be inside the property simultaneously with the squatters and make life difficult for the squatters. I'm envisioning ex Special Forces agents, who might start small by leaving the toilet seat up and failing to do the washing up, and take it further as required e.g. doing building work that makes the property less habitable.
But do the squatters once inside have an exclusive right to occupy the commercial property? I'm not sure why that right would make sense.