• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split tickets and season tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiejv

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2017
Messages
9
Hi all, new poster so sorry if this has been done to death before, haven't had much luck searching for this. I have a season ticket from London Liverpool St to Shenfield, but tomorrow I'm due to be travelling from London to Chelmsford. I was thinking I could just buy a ticket from Shenfield to Chelmsford and use my season ticket for the rest of the journey, but the train I'm hoping to get doesn't stop at Shenfield. I've had a look at the conditions of carriage, and rule 19 says:
19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two for one journey as long as together they cover the entire journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one ticket to another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket is not.


Am I completely wrong in thinking that Part C means the train doesn't have to stop at Shenfield? I spoke to National Rail on twitter, and they seemed to think that I am wrong, but they weren't particularly sure. I know I could get a slightly later train which does stop at Shenfield, but quite frankly, I'd rather just get the earlier one!

Thanks all :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,449
Location
Yorkshire
Welcome to the forum :)

Yes, when combining a Season ticket and another ticket, the train does not need to call anywhere. See: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/Conditions%20of%20Travel%202016.pdf
NRCoT Condition 14.2 said:
If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not need to call at that station for your combination to be valid.

Note this replaces the Conditions of Carriage. But the answer to your question is unchanged.

I spoke to National Rail on twitter, and they seemed to think that I am wrong, but they weren't particularly sure.
I am not surprised.

The vast majority of fare queries will be answered swiftly and accurately here, and we have collective knowledge that is unparalleled anywhere else, so you're in the right place for any fare advice!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top