• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split off peak/super off peak return confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwalkeverywher

New Member
Joined
26 Feb 2025
Messages
4
Location
Leicester
Hi. I am not clued up with the train network and find all the different tickets very confusing. I booked a return from Rugby to Euston on the Avanti network, it’s a split save return which said “all trains must call at Milton Keynes” that is made up of

Rugby > Milton Keynes Off Peak Return
Milton Keynes > Euston Super Off Peak Return

I spent about half an hour reading the terms and figuring it all out (I thought) before booking. Then after booking it, the ticket says “ticket conditions - specified trains only”

Can anyone confirm as I believed the ticket means I need to travel outward on the train I have booked but can return on any SOP Avanti train to MK and any OP/SOP train from MK to Rugby on the same day? But now I am not so sure.

Also, if the above is correct, how do I filter Trainline to find which other trains I can return on?

Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

signed

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2024
Messages
2,388
Location
ROI
Can anyone confirm as I believed the ticket means I need to travel outward on the train I have booked but can return on any SOP Avanti train to MK and any OP/SOP train from MK to Rugby on the same day? But now I am not so sure.
You can travel on any train that meets the relevant restrictions for that part of the journey, that mention is just false. The mention would only apply to Advance ticketing.

You can check the exact restrictions on nre.co.uk

Also, if the above is correct, how do I filter Trainline to find which other trains I can return on?
For the Rugby-MK part, it is code CS (https://nre.co.uk/cs) any train after 0900 on weekdays, every train at any other times.

For the MK-Euston, it is code MK (https://nre.co.uk/mk)

On weekdays (no restriction at any other time) :

Outward Travel​

Not valid on trains timed to arrive at London Euston after 04:29 and before 13:00.

Return Travel​

Not valid on trains timed to depart London Euston after 04:29 and before 10:30 and after 15:59 and before 19:01
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,158
Location
Wilmslow
I think you’ve run into Avanti’s silly “mandatory reservation” setting for all its trains, which imply you can only use trains for which you hold a reservation. The reality is that this is untrue and you can use any of their trains within the restrictions you researched and which @signed details above.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,298
@iwalkeverywher. Welcome to the forum. Just to clarify, your outward journey is from Rugby to London Euston (calling/changing at Milton Keynes Central) and your return journey is from London Euston back to Rugby (again calling or changing at Milton Keynes Central). Is that right? If the issue is with the return journey, what time/day of the week were you planning on departing Euston? Presume some midweek day?
 

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,726
Location
Slade Green
Great, thanks so much!

Yes essentially a return from Rugby to Euston calling at MK, on a Saturday.
If it's out and back the same day, are you sure it's an off-peak return between Rugby and Milton Keynes? An off-peak day return would be cheaper than an off-peak return.

In this case it makes no difference as both tickets are unrestricted on a Saturday, but the off-peak return and off-peak day return are different tickets with different restriction codes, so as a general rule when flexibility is desired it's important to make sure you're looking at the right restriction code (which will be the one stated on the ticket or reservation).

Really unhelpful that Avanti falsely claims you have to stick to the trains selected at time of booking. I suspect they'd much prefer it if everyone did, and they have no incentive to make the actual rules clear, but they are being misleading and not very customer-friendly, here.
 

iwalkeverywher

New Member
Joined
26 Feb 2025
Messages
4
Location
Leicester
Sorry yes, it is an off peak day return between Rugby and MK, and a super off peak return between MK and Euston. If there’s no restrictions on a Saturday does that mean I can use literally any Avanti train that stops at MK (which I do believe is all of them going to Manchester or Crewe)? This split save ticket was quite a lot cheaper than any of the other options, so that would be quite a surprise!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,846
Location
West of Andover
Sorry yes, it is an off peak day return between Rugby and MK, and a super off peak return between MK and Euston. If there’s no restrictions on a Saturday does that mean I can use literally any Avanti train that stops at MK (which I do believe is all of them going to Manchester or Crewe)? This split save ticket was quite a lot cheaper than any of the other options, so that would be quite a surprise!
Not all of the trains to Manchester. Generally it's the services departing Euston around 53 minutes past the hour to Manchester & 16 minutes past the hour for Birmingham/Scotland which call at both Milton Keynes & Rugby.

You don't want to accidentally board the Manchester train, which is first stop Stafford
 

iwalkeverywher

New Member
Joined
26 Feb 2025
Messages
4
Location
Leicester
Ok, forgive me for being dense, I have just realised all the Avanti trains stopping at rugby via MK throughout the day are the same price and the rest of them are all West Midlands Trains. Thanks for all the help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top