• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speeding Lorry demolishes Hartlebury level crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,365
-
I keep getting shouted at for using “amber”. “ITS YELLOW!!!”

(I know you were on about road signals)
On the roads it is amber (remember learning amber - red - red-and-amber - green?) On the railway, however, signals are definitely yellow.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nat67

Established Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
1,477
Location
Warwickshire
Well, yes - obviously the flashing lights would start prior to the barriers descending.

Maybe rock-solid bollards ten feet tall should rise up out of the road in front of the barriers...*


*Not to be taken too seriously, but I do agree that something needs to be done. There is far too much abuse of crossings these days.
Maybe not bolllards but those metal spike things that are used to prevent people coming out of car parks the wrong way.
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
There should be no such thing as an "ambler gambler", speed limits on the approach to crossings or even road junctions are worked that you must be able to stop your vehicle in the distance that you see to be clear.

I'll ask a question- what does a red light mean and what does an amber light mean..... Ask around you and I'd reckon you'll get 60% failure rate

On the road: red means STOP! Amber means stop unless pulling up (suddenly) causes an accident - i.e. rear-end collision
 

Pakenhamtrain

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2014
Messages
1,205
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Good lord is there anything that can be done to protect innocent rail passengers from idiot road users?
You could do what we are doing. Spend a bucket load of money to get rid of them.
My line got some fancy viaducts and stations out of getting rid of the crossings:
https://railgallery.wongm.com/caulfield-dandenong-level-crossing-removal/F127_9811.jpg.html
https://levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/_...334483/39.-Murumbeena-Station-6-June-2018.jpg
At the same time they re did the track, signalling and overhead to get the line ready for the HCMT.

We also chuck track and roads into trenches:
https://levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/_...rdaleStation-AFTER-7092.20180516043236315.jpg
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,365
It isn't a caveat, it is part of the Legislation.
of course it's a caveat:
"You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. Unless..." Isn't that the definition of a caveat?
The first entry for "Caveat" on Google says "a warning or proviso of specific stipulations, conditions, or limitations." Maybe you and I use or understand English differently...
Thanks, but I liked keeping a good relationship with the Police where my Box was, and that is certainly not the way to do it.
I would have thought that warning them about behaviour likely to cause a train derailment or road-user fatality would be seen as a useful contribution to accident prevention.
On top of that, if as a signaller you had sat by and never flagged up people putting themselves at risk jumping warning lights then I wouldn't be surprised if a Coroner was to direct some harsh words at you at an inquest.
On second thoughts, maybe you should have talked to the local Fire Brigade (now Fire and Rescue?) Ours seem to be quite heavily into accident prevention now.
 
Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
of course it's a caveat:
I would have thought that warning them about behaviour likely to cause a train derailment or road-user fatality would be seen as a useful contribution to accident prevention.
On top of that, if as a signaller you had sat by and never flagged up people putting themselves at risk jumping warning lights then I wouldn't be surprised if a Coroner was to direct some harsh words at you at an inquest.
On second thoughts, maybe you should have talked to the local Fire Brigade (now Fire and Rescue?) Ours seem to be quite heavily into accident prevention now.

Who says I didn't mention it when they dropped in at 2 in the morning for a cuppa and a chat?
And I and my colleagues have certainly reported plenty of people who ignored the lights, but getting their reg number isn't and cannot be the first priority. That is to get the barriers down, the signals cleared and not delaying the train.

And I suspect you are aren't a signalman.
 

headshot119

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2010
Messages
2,051
Location
Dubai
Who says I didn't mention it when they dropped in at 2 in the morning for a cuppa and a chat?
And I and my colleagues have certainly reported plenty of people who ignored the lights, but getting their reg number isn't and cannot be the first priority. That is to get the barriers down, the signals cleared and not delaying the train.

And I suspect you are aren't a signalman.

With the greatest respect to the right honorable member for the Marches, neither are you.
 

LAX54

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2008
Messages
3,906
Emergency Vehicles can go through standard traffic lights, which is why we have wigswags as nothing can go past flashing wigwags.

There are crossings in the UK which have cameras linked to the red wigwags

Indeed, Flashing Reds, MANDATORY STOP for ALL vehicles, including the Emergency Services.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,947
Location
UK
On the road: red means STOP! Amber means stop unless pulling up (suddenly) causes an accident - i.e. rear-end collision

Over time, most people would almost certainly say they didn't have time to stop when they saw amber (but DID have time to floor it!) and I've had many a cars rush through a pedestrian crossings with absolutely nobody behind them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top