• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

speed limits between liverpool street and norwich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SqUaShIe P

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
183
Location
England
Hey, I just wondered if anyone knows the speed limits between london, liverpool street and norwich?
Someone told me:

60 mph between Liverpool Street and Shenfield
70 mph between Shenfield and Hatfield Peverel and
80 mph between Hatfield Peverel and Norwich

...But that sounded abit slow to me.

Thanks Y'all
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
That's a load of rubbish, but I don't have a sectional appendix and, though I've seen a cab ride DVD I don't have a copy to look at now so I have no exact figures. Max speed is 110mph but there are many bends so it will vary a lot.

Here's a rough guide of some average timetabled speeds..

Stratford-Shenfield 65mph
Shenfield-Chelmsford 78mph
Chelmsford-Colchester 83mph

Back when it was a proper InterCity operation, Norwich-Ipswich (46.5 miles) was done non-stop in 33 minutes using 100mph Class 86s, this is a start-to-stop average speed of 84mph, and given the initial acceleration and deceleration for the stop to be factored in, you're looking at mostly running at 90/100mph.
 
Last edited:

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
I'd need my Sectional Appendix to give the full SP, but that's in my locker at work. However, the linespeed rises and falls quite a lot. Between LST and ICS (the only section of the route I actually "sign") I reckon it must change a good half dozen times at least. It goes from 15mph - 30mph - 40mph - 35mph - 35/60mph on the Down Main between Liv St and Bethnal Green alone, and the speeds won't necessarily be the same on the Up Main as the Down Main at any given location. Throw in the Up & Down "E", the various additional and avoiding lines plus differential speeds and it's quite a complicated stretch of line.

O L Leigh
 

chappers

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2008
Messages
76
Hey, I just wondered if anyone knows the speed limits between london, liverpool street and norwich?
Someone told me:

60 mph between Liverpool Street and Shenfield
70 mph between Shenfield and Hatfield Peverel and
80 mph between Hatfield Peverel and Norwich

...But that sounded abit slow to me.

Thanks Y'all

Nowhere near is clear cut as that - don't forget you have electrics and mains as far as Shenfield. Again, the sectional appendix is the thing to have here (mines in the office), but I know the down main is 90mph at Goodmayes, Chadwell Heath and Harold Wood Station, 100mph at Marks Tey (although both roads have a TSR of 30/50 at the moment) - its pretty variable all the way up depending on track geometry etc
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top