My-thulm-royd is how I say it.
Sounds about right (having used Sowerby Bridge as my local station regularly for many years including living on bus rotues to both stations). For those interesting in pronunciation Sowerby Bridge is "Sore-bee Bridge" despite the on-train announcements.
To be fair that county is not worthy of your efforts to learn how to say it anyway![]()
That's a little harsh.
The platforms, certainly the Leeds-bound one at least, are quite long, however the platform in front of the now disused station building was taken out of use with destaffing back in 1988 (I think it was), and the platforms were extended to the east to compensate.
I think that's similar to Sowerby Bridge where the platform is actually quite long but it is not all classified as "safe".
Was destaffing that late? I started using Sowerby Bridge in 1985 with no sign of any staff there but didn't deliberately travel West from it for a couple of years.
Last edited:
