• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Special Service Provision these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
It's the Cosford Air Show these weekend, and looking at the timetable for trains, I'm glad I haven't decided to go.

There's precisely 1 train per hour in each direction - and these are formed of the scheduled stopping service (1 every 2 or 3 hours) plus the already crowded on a Sunday fast services calling at Cosford in each direction in addition. I'm also informed by a CT guard that Central are operating 4 unadvertised services during the busiest times calling at all stations to Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury to attempt to help with the demand - the first Central services on the line on a Sunday for 3 years.

Now, I know CT have had a lot of detractors, but if you go back 3 or 4 years, Sunday services on the Shrewsbury line were operated by Central. When Cosford air show was on, I recall trains departing every 10 minutes in both directions, some calling all stations, some running fast. None of these were smaller than 4 carriages, usually strengthened by 150s that weren't required on other routes on a Sunday. I also remember steam specials hauled by pannier tanks going to Tyseley.

Just shows that change is generally not for the better round here, and personally, as the Shrewsbury line becomes one of only 2 diesel non suburban lines operated by the West Midlands franchise, I don't think it's going to get better.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Messages
3,736
Central are operating 4 unadvertised services during the busiest times calling at all stations to Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury to attempt to help with the demand - the first Central services on the line on a Sunday for 3 years.

"Unadvertised". Ah I like CT logic of making it Unadvertised so they can make it go Unnoticed when they cancel it. Brilliant. :lol:

If they want to help with Demand, why not slap a few more 156s or 153s on the back of those services to "Help with the damned Demand"? Saves them a few quid without having to employee Time and a Half Sunday Drivers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top