• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spalding to Watford High street

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthStand

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
295
Heading down to Vicarage Road next Saturday to see Leeds play. Cheapest I can find is

Spalding to Peterborough £6.50 return
Peterborough to London Z1-6 (FCC only) £22 return
Hatch End Z6 to Watford High Street £5.40 return

Can it be done for less than £33.90?

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
I very much doubt it - unless you do a bus move! Oyster PAYG from Euston (walk from KGX) *may* be cheaper, but probably not by much if at all.
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
You could go

Spalding - Peterborough £6-50 return
Peterborough to Hatfield £14-00 return FCC only
Arriva Day Explorer £7
Bus 724 to Watford.

Total £27-50

There is a bus at 1302 from Hatfield (arrives Watford 1358).

Returns at 1705 or 1805 (arrive Hatfield 1759/1859)

Peter
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
It's £18 PBO - London Terminals (£4 cheaper than a Travelcard) It's then £3.40 each way on Oyster PAYG, totalling £6.80 return. Overall this is cheaper than a ticket from Hatch End or Boundary Zone 6 to Watford High St.

KGX - EUS is probably easier walking than getting the tube, it's about 10 minutes but allow more time.

Note that Hatch End to Watford High St is 1.30 each way on Oyster, or 5.40 return on a paper ticket. But Boundary Zone 6 is a quid cheaper than the paper return at only £4.40.
 

SouthStand

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
295
It's £18 PBO - London Terminals (£4 cheaper than a Travelcard) It's then £3.40 each way on Oyster PAYG, totalling £6.80 return. Overall this is cheaper than a ticket from Hatch End or Boundary Zone 6 to Watford High St.

Totally unfamiliar with Oyster :)

So at Euston I ask for an "Extension Permit" for my Oyster card so it is valid to Watford High Street? I assume this "costs" 20p because as far as I can see a Z1-6 off peak single is £3.20, and this gives the £3.40 fare you quoted.

Presumably on the way back, I have to ask for another extension at the Watford ticket office?

Cheers!
 

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
Totally unfamiliar with Oyster :)

So at Euston I ask for an "Extension Permit" for my Oyster card so it is valid to Watford High Street? I assume this "costs" 20p because as far as I can see a Z1-6 off peak single is £3.20, and this gives the £3.40 fare you quoted.

Presumably on the way back, I have to ask for another extension at the Watford ticket office?

Cheers!

No oyster PAYG is valid to Watford.

Peter
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
Totally unfamiliar with Oyster :)

So at Euston I ask for an "Extension Permit" for my Oyster card so it is valid to Watford High Street? I assume this "costs" 20p because as far as I can see a Z1-6 off peak single is £3.20, and this gives the £3.40 fare you quoted.

Presumably on the way back, I have to ask for another extension at the Watford ticket office?

Cheers!



An oyster extension permit (OEP) is only required by someone who already holds a period travelcard on their oystercard, and who wishes to make a journey beyond the zones of their travelcard on certain (but not all) NR lines (but not on the tube or London Overground) within the oyster area. They are free (but mean you are not deemed to be liable for a penalty fare if you are on a journey beyond your zones)

As the journey to Watford High Street is on London Overground, you have no need for an OEP, even in the event that you do have a period travelcard for less than Zones 1-9 on your oyster.

You need to make sure you've sufficient credit to cover the whole journey on your Oyster card, and touch in and out at the start and end of your journeys as usual.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
if i remeber rightly

london euston - watford junction is set by london midland.

just looked on london midland website for next saturday and with their 50% sale . gives the off peak day rtn for £4.35 from euston - watford junction, and gives options for the fast London Midland Services, and the Slow London Overground Services.Surely you could get off at Watford High Street? or would this only allow you to exit at Watford Junction?
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,573
if i remeber rightly

london euston - watford junction is set by london midland.

just looked on london midland website for next saturday and with their 50% sale . gives the off peak day rtn for £4.35 from euston - watford junction, and gives options for the fast London Midland Services, and the Slow London Overground Services.Surely you could get off at Watford High Street? or would this only allow you to exit at Watford Junction?
Correct - as Off Peak Day Returns permit BoJ (Break of Journey) this is (AFAIA) fine to finish the outward journey early and start the return journey late, as long as it is along a valid route.

Spalding to Peterborough £6.50 CDR
Peterborough to London Ter (route FCC Only) £23.00 CDR
London Terminals to Watford Junction (if bought through LM Website) £4.35 CDR
Totaling £33.85 (5p saving from original) - but I can't make sense out of the above posts so I don't know if there is a cheaper alternative.
 

t0ffeeman

Member
Joined
11 Jul 2008
Messages
297
Super off peak is valid on the FCC only ticket next Saturday bringing that portion to £18.00
 

SouthStand

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
295
So, basically two options then:

(1) Two £3.40 oyster PAYG costing £6.80

or

(2) pay the extra £4 from Peterborough to get a paper Z1-6 travelcard. But I would then have to get off at Hatch End to be able to touch in for a £1.30 oyster PAYG to Watford High Street?

So the advantage with this option is I can use the travelcard to visit other places in London first, but the disadvantage is you have to get off at Hatch End to touch in/out.

Hope that's right :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top