• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spain to consider seatbelts for trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
Joined
1 Oct 2010
Messages
3,737
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2013/...dium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Railco+(rail.co)

Global Rail News said:
The Spanish government has said it may look at installing seat belts onboard trains in an effort to improve safety following the Santiago de Compostela crash that killed 79.

Minister of Development Ana Pastor told the EU’s Transport Council that both the countries infrastructure manager, Adif, and operator Renfe were working on a series of initiatives designed to improve safety on Spain’s railways.

Following calls from victims of the crash in July, Pastor said the government would be exploring the possibility of installing seat belts on trains.

A ridiculous idea in my opinion.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,692
Location
Nottingham
Link isn't working for me, but I would point out that there is some research on the RSSB website which concludes that seatbelts on British trains would actually worsen safety.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
I think this is the report, certainly it's got a section on seatbelts in it! I have to say I agree with notadriver I don't think this is going to be a good idea. I rather suspect it's a kneejerk reaction.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,692
Location
Nottingham
I think this is the report, certainly it's got a section on seatbelts in it! I have to say I agree with notadriver I don't think this is going to be a good idea. I rather suspect it's a kneejerk reaction.

That's one of them, there are others. Sorry I haven't found a link but the RSSB website seems to be nearly as difficult as ORR for finding stuff.
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,788
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Perhaps they'd like to consider a functioning ATP system rather than trying to divert attention away from their equipment failures?
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Link isn't working for me, but I would point out that there is some research on the RSSB website which concludes that seatbelts on British trains would actually worsen safety.

If they try and fit them in with 3+2 seating I don't think all it would succeed in is making passengers even less comfortable.

I notice the article also refers to 3 point seatbelts not lap belts.
 

goodnight033

New Member
Joined
14 Oct 2013
Messages
4
(Hello everyone. First post here on railforum!)

The issue about the Spanish rail accident is that the signalling system has been faulty, and the driver could even be speeding when the limit was 80kph.

Why not tackle the problem from the driver & signalling system itself, i.e. using Japanese 'fingering and positioning system' to enhance driver awareness?

Moreover, if the AVE collide with something at a speed of over 200kph, with the g-force exerted on the passenger, I suppose the passenger will be crushed between the seat belt and the seat/train body, given that if the seat belt is so solid that it does not break.
 

notadriver

Established Member
Joined
1 Oct 2010
Messages
3,737
Hi goodnight033. Welcome to the forum. I think a functioning automatic train protection system is what's needed. The Japanese way is in my view too strict. Train drivers are professionals and having people check up on them from behind a transparent partition to make sure they are pointing at signals is a step too far in my opinion.
 
Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,692
Location
Nottingham
Considering that at least one coach at Santiago de Compstela had the side ripped out, I doubt seat belts would make much difference. As well as train protection, a review of structural crashworthiness standards may be in in order.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,920
Location
UK
In that recent documentary, a lady spoke of the seats coming up from the floor so I doubt seat belts would help. Definitely better to ensure trains don't crash in the first place.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
Are there any countries or lines where seatbelts on trains are compulsory (or even fitted)?
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Perhaps they'd like to consider a functioning ATP system rather than trying to divert attention away from their equipment failures?

Can only agree. As much as seatbelts are a subject most non-railway people can relate to, they won't make a blind bit of difference.

The real concern is indeed the lack of a basic ATP equivalent; most ordinary people will not recognise the prominence of this key bit of kit.
 

David Barrett

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2013
Messages
554
In that recent documentary, a lady spoke of the seats coming up from the floor so I doubt seat belts would help. Definitely better to ensure trains don't crash in the first place.

Agreed. The notion of seat belts only serves to reinforce the impression that the Spanish Authorities accept the inevitable consequences of lax regulation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top