• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spa Valley - Diesel Gala in August 2026?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangor-toad

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2009
Messages
672
Dear All,
The Spa Valley Railway normally has Diesel Gala in early August. It's always been an event I enjoy and I try to get to it.

In previous years there's been information on it on their website well in advance but for this year there seem to be nothing. Looking at the online calendar the weekend I'd have expected it to be ( 8th & 9th August) seems to be a normal running weekend.
Does anyone know if the event is going ahead this year?

If not, it'll be a bit of a shame but I would then have to arrange some flights to let me visit for the October Ale & Cider Festival...
Cheers,
Mr Toad
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

158760

Member
Joined
23 Sep 2023
Messages
245
Location
England
Dear All,
The Spa Valley Railway normally has Diesel Gala in early August. It's always been an event I enjoy and I try to get to it.

In previous years there's been information on it on their website well in advance but for this year there seem to be nothing. Looking at the online calendar the weekend I'd have expected it to be ( 8th & 9th August) seems to be a normal running weekend.
Does anyone know if the event is going ahead this year?

If not, it'll be a bit of a shame but I would then have to arrange some flights to let me visit for the October Ale & Cider Festival...
Cheers,
Mr Toad
I think they were going to have to cancel it this year as it was going to be too expensive to have a gala. I would recommend emailing the railway to double check though.
 
Joined
18 Mar 2007
Messages
465
Location
North Oxfordshire
From a post from the Spa Valley GM on National Preservation

The Diesel Gala is sadly suffering this year due to these high costs, and we have replaced it with the Green timetable and extra dining events. Most of you know this is an event I’ve organised since 2012, so not going ahead with it hasn’t been an easy decision. However, based on figures from recent years, the locomotives we have available or could bring in on a lorry, the likelihood of it turning a profit is too small to justify the risk. Visitors to events like this are usually traction specific, so unless it’s the right loco, they won’t come
 

bangor-toad

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2009
Messages
672
Thanks for posting that link LittleRedTrain.

I can certainly see why they've made the decision. With the clear explanation of the costs involved, I expect we'll see fewer visiting locos at other galas over the next few years.
I will instead plan a trip for the October event instead, it'll be good to get over sometime this year.

Cheers,
Mr Toad
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top