• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southport-Salford-Liverpool ticketing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tilly

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
26
Hello all,

I'm after some advice, I am getting the 07.21 train from Southport to Salford Crescent next Wednesday. I normally buy an anytime return, coming back around 4pm. This is sometimes sold to me as the destination being Salford and other times, Manchester stations.

However, next Weds (30th) I need to travel to Salford but my return instead of Southport will be to Liverpool (Moorfields).

Apart from buying 2 singles, is there a cheaper way around this?
Single SOP-SLD = £12.20 (return normally £15.90).
Single SLD-MRF = £11.50.

I'm not fussed about the route either via Kirkby or Liverpool South Parkway is fine (the variety will be a refreshing change from standing on a pacer until Wigan!). I have a lift back from Liverpool as I'm meeting my husband there.

I'm just a bit lost about what would be an acceptable route and how far I could go on a Southport - Salford return before maybe needing to buy a single to Liverpool. I have at the weekend previously (after checking) travelled back from Manchester Pic via South Parkway and this was allowed. Is this correct if I asked for Manchester stations in the morning as Salford Crescent is grouped in these?

Thanks for any replies!

Tilly
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Buy a Hightown - Manchester Stations ticket. The Anytime Day Return is £16.70, so marginally more expensive than the Southport ticket. It is valid via Liverpool and Newton-le-Willows as it is the shortest route (42.25 miles to Oxford Road). It is also valid via Liverpool and Warrington Central (44.75 miles to Oxford Road), or Southport and Wigan Wallgate (45 miles to Oxford Road) as they are both no more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route.

You start short in the morning at Southport and go into Manchester. You can come back either via Newton-le-Willows or Warrington Central and finish short at Liverpool.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,487
Location
Yorkshire
I'm not entirely sure about Salford, but I know that Southport - Manchester is valid via Liverpool. Although Liverpool fails the "fares check" at present, this is an artificial situation created by excessive fare increases by TPE.

Booking engines will give you itineraries via Liverpool, as the fare check used by booking engines uses the old data from 1996. My understanding is that the route has protected/regulated status.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
I do believe that Liverpool is an Associated Routeing Point for Hightown (and passes the fares check rule) meaning it is a valid route for a Hightown-Manchester Stns fare.
 

Tilly

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
26
Thanks bb21 I would never have thought about that but it makes a lot of sense thinking about it.
Also makes life easier as I can leave the car at Birkdale in the morning (didn't want to complicate my post further!).
I often think its a pain living at thus end of the line, but being in the middle like Hightown must be harder for easterly travel.

Tilly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top