Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
I’ve been emailed to do the The mini Safe Concentration and Attention Test, but when I opened the link it’s on the official OPC assessment site. (Southern)
The problem is I have an offer for trainee train driver from GWR, starting in a couple month. My question is if I fail this online assessment will the offer from GWR be withdrawn as this assessment is on the OPC official site.
If I'm given a choice of Southern Depots to go to, I'm wondering which to pick?
London Bridge is the closest to me - less than 5 miles. Distance wise, Selhurst and Norwood are similar to one another. Victoria is the furthest, but a bit easier for me to get to than Selhurst and Norwood.
I'm familiar with the routes each depot signs, but I'm not familiar with the T'c & C's, local agreements, rosters, links and shift patterns etc. I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on the matter.
They are all commuter depots doing intensive work, doesn't make much difference really, id go for the one with the shortest commute as above, makes a massive difference in my opinion.
They are all commuter depots doing intensive work, doesn't make much difference really, id go for the one with the shortest commute as above, makes a massive difference in my opinion.
Selhurst has always been the worst depot of the lot, Norwood wasn't too bad I believe but i think London Bridge is a good shout, the mess room is a bit like being in a bomb shelter though lol
Selhurst has always been the worst depot of the lot, Norwood wasn't too bad I believe but i think London Bridge is a good shout, the mess room is a bit like being in a bomb shelter though lol
Selhurst has always been the worst depot of the lot, Norwood wasn't too bad I believe but i think London Bridge is a good shout, the mess room is a bit like being in a bomb shelter though lol
I completed my online OPC miniSCAAT assessment this morning. I was notified last week of the requirement to complete it following the initial online SJT, so its looking to be about 6 weeks per stage after discounting the Christmas break. Fingers crossed for good news.
I completed my online OPC miniSCAAT assessment this morning. I was notified last week of the requirement to complete it following the initial online SJT, so its looking to be about 6 weeks per stage after discounting the Christmas break. Fingers crossed for good news.
Can I ask a question? I'm not sure what the process is like for GTR as a whole or if it differs between Southern, GN, Thameslink, GX, or varies per depot applied for, but did everyone who applied for this Southern position have to do the miniSCAAT?
Reason I'm asking is because one of my mates (never applied for a Train driver position before) applied for this and done the SJT in December.
Today they received an invitation to book themselves in to attend an assessment centre. They didn't do a miniSCAAT at all.
Can I ask a question? I'm not sure what the process is like for GTR as a whole or if it differs between Southern, GN, Thameslink, GX, or varies per depot applied for, but did everyone who applied for this Southern position have to do the miniSCAAT?
Reason I'm asking is because one of my mates (never applied for a Train driver position before) applied for this and done the SJT in December.
Today they received an invitation to book themselves in to attend an assessment centre. They didn't do a miniSCAAT at all.
I applied for this position and didn't do the miniSCAAT just did the online assessments and got an offer to attend the assessment centre today. Although I applied for Southern for London bridge initially, this has since changed to Thameslink for Orpington. Not sure why, better location for me so no problem
I applied for this position and didn't do the miniSCAAT just did the online assessments and got an offer to attend the assessment centre today. Although I applied for Southern for London bridge initially, this has since changed to Thameslink for Orpington. Not sure why, better location for me so no problem
Funny you say that, because my mate applied for southern London bridge also, but the email says Orpington also- which wasn't an option at the time of applying. However, similarly to you, they live close to Bromley and Orpington is a lot better for them than London Bridge.
I live close to Upminster in Essex and I applied to London Bridge and London Victoria for Southern. Orpington is closer as the crow flies but takes longer to travel to via public transport. I would prefer London Bridge but we'll see what I'm offered. It may be that Orpington is in greater need of drivers. Perhaps there is a benchmark score across the SJT and application required to leapfrog the miniSCAAT.
Not sure how quick Southern is but I applied for Southeastern June 2024, after quickly completing Psychometrics and getting results back I was ghosted for 14 months before assessment booking.
Advice when it comes to these tests. For the WAFV, remain focus throughout the entirety of test it’s long and vigorous (30m). You’ll need to react as fast as you can when the shape goes to a darker colour as it flashes. The test will get tiring towards the end.
Perception test you need to be actively alert you’ll only see the picture for a sec. That’s all I can say for that.
Hand Co, you’ll have practice examples before the actual test. Take as long as you want practicing to make sure you are confident when taking the test. Tip is go as fast as you can while remaining in the shape. Find the balance. Do not go too slow, if you do see yourself coming out the shape don’t be flustered return back in the shape and continue, I myself came out a lot of times.
I sat for my stage 2 today at opc and was told i failed the WAFV and the ATAVT, which I'm very much surprised because I find those two to be the easiest of all the tests I sat. I don't know if I missed out on any instructions with those two as I was out for coffee and came in with everyone already seated. As far as I'm concerned I didn't miss any dark box, I always pressed the green button when the grey turned black. Really surprised I failed that in particular, can't tell what exactly i didnt do right.
Any advice from anyone with experience? And do I have to wait 6months or 1year before I can resit/reapply?
Thanks in advance
I sat for my stage 2 today at opc and was told i failed the WAFV and the ATAVT, which I'm very much surprised because I find those two to be the easiest of all the tests I sat. I don't know if I missed out on any instructions with those two as I was out for coffee and came in with everyone already seated. As far as I'm concerned I didn't miss any dark box, I always pressed the green button when the grey turned black. Really surprised I failed that in particular, can't tell what exactly i didnt do right.
Any advice from anyone with experience? And do I have to wait 6months or 1year before I can resit/reapply?
Thanks in advance
I done these at the first stage with another TOC (with OPC) - WAFV was one i failed and i thought the same as you but the results showed i failed only that one test.
but maybe you can ask for feeback - if thy provide it.
I done these at the first stage with another TOC (with OPC) - WAFV was one i failed and i thought the same as you but the results showed i failed only that one test.
but maybe you can ask for feeback - if thy provide it.
Really there must be some missing link, lol
I have asked for feedback and hopefully they get back with that. Just came to me as a surprise as I did a lot of practice which looked good until the actual test
Did you pass that now @Mins Mind sharing what you did different?
I sat for my stage 2 today at opc and was told i failed the WAFV and the ATAVT, which I'm very much surprised because I find those two to be the easiest of all the tests I sat. I don't know if I missed out on any instructions with those two as I was out for coffee and came in with everyone already seated. As far as I'm concerned I didn't miss any dark box, I always pressed the green button when the grey turned black. Really surprised I failed that in particular, can't tell what exactly i didnt do right.
Any advice from anyone with experience? And do I have to wait 6months or 1year before I can resit/reapply?
Thanks in advance
You’d have to wait a year to resit your test(s), but you’d only have to do the ones you have failed. In an event where you fail the second attempt. You’d have to wait 5 years for your third/final attempt and resit all the tests including the ones you have already passed. If you don’t pass that you can never sit the process again.
Regarding those two tests you mentioned, hopefully the OPC can give you feedback because I don’t know what to say really.
When I did those tests personally they was easy but if you get complacent it’s long. Only thing I can think for the WAFV maybe your reaction timing started to decline as the test went along. That test is solely based on reaction.
The ATAVT you need to have sharp eyes for the whole test, you could have possibly miss some details but again if OPC provide feedback it’s best
Really there must be some missing link, lol
I have asked for feedback and hopefully they get back with that. Just came to me as a surprise as I did a lot of practice which looked good until the actual test
Did you pass that now @Mins Mind sharing what you did different?
i did a lot of practicing too however on the day maybe i was off lol ... nah i haven't done it again - i have to wait a whole year until i can go again.
You’d have to wait a year to resit your test(s), but you’d only have to do the ones you have failed. In an event where you fail the second attempt. You’d have to wait 5 years for your third/final attempt and resit all the tests including the ones you have already passed. If you don’t pass that you can never sit the process again.
Regarding those two tests you mentioned, hopefully the OPC can give you feedback because I don’t know what to say really.
When I did those tests personally they was easy but if you get complacent it’s long. Only thing I can think for the WAFV maybe your reaction timing started to decline as the test went along. That test is solely based on reaction.
The ATAVT you need to have sharp eyes for the whole test, you could have possibly miss some details but again if OPC provide feedback it’s best
Thank you very much for your response. The OPC got back to say they cant provide me with details, and what they told me after the test was all they can say, lol
I must admit I left the place feeling disappointed and confused. Like where did i go wrong. All the change from grey to 'black' was much obvious and I could recount almost all. My issue is not on the fail, but on not knowing where I must have gone wrong.
The ATAVT I can understand, maybe I wasn't fast enough with capturing the details so can work on that, plus I remember I took time to input the answers on each round, not sure if time was also a factor there. @enriquee Thanks once again
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
i did a lot of practicing too however on the day maybe i was off lol ... nah i haven't done it again - i have to wait a whole year until i can go again.
Thank you very much for your response. The OPC got back to say they cant provide me with details, and what they told me after the test was all they can say, lol
I must admit I left the place feeling disappointed and confused. Like where did i go wrong. All the change from grey to 'black' was much obvious and I could recount almost all. My issue is not on the fail, but on not knowing where I must have gone wrong.
The ATAVT I can understand, maybe I wasn't fast enough with capturing the details so can work on that, plus I remember I took time to input the answers on each round, not sure if time was also a factor there. @enriquee Thanks once again
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Lool looks like we in the same boat, lets see what we can do different the next time. No rush but hopefully things go better next time
The ATAVT there was no timer in answering what you saw in the image however I do think it plays a role in passing. But don’t quote me, the OPC knows best. Naturally you’ll be disappointed, but take this as motivation so in your second attempt you smash it.
We have had a number of issues with members trying to set up duplicate accounts in this forum.
Please note that we only allow one account per person, but if you find yourself in a situation in which you'd like a separate identity for this section then please contact us directly and explain your reasoning or concerns rather than setting up a separate new account.
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.